My computer wont:

unistall from add/remove programs
my thumbnails diappeared about a year ago, along with photo gallery
in disk cleanup my remove windows components is blank
I cannot download updates
I obviously have registry problems
etc., etc., etc.
and now iexplorer windows popup repeatedly and randomly

Please help me straighten out this mess that my computer is in. because I have windows vista home basic I do not have any backup utilities and my computer did not come with any discs when it was bought for me 2 years ago from a legitimate retail store so I cannot reinstall windows (which I would love to do). my hijack this log is attached.

thanks in advance for your help and time,
V

Attachments

• hijackthis 2010-10-02.txt
    14 KB · Views: 1
Repost your thread to start.. it wont really get seen in the suggestions threads..
second.. can you download anything .. can you stop processes..cause "aolsoftware.exe (also waol.exe but i think those are both used when runing aol.. you should use something lighter because..) uses excessive system and memory resources with no corresponding benefit. Applications such as these should be disabled to improve overall system performance." ..\wuauclt.exe = windows update.. shows running (some say if ur having problems like yours try disabling updates until you get it right..)but maybe we should start all over with the new thread and ad your system specs also.. you will get more/better help..good luck
p.s. find/try the eight steps...

If you don't have backup media, your PC will have a restore partition, or utilities to enable you to refresh your computer back to factory supplied original settings. It WILL have been shipped with some form of restore media, but its likely you need to burn restore discs yourself.

I strongly suggest you read the materials that came with your computer and it will detail how you do a system restore. Given the issues your experiencing, along with the fact I've also seen your 8 step thread, restoring Windows is your safest bet > It'll also be the fastest as well.

I'm not sure how Gateway do it these days, but the two manufacturer favourites are usually:

1. You hit a particular button during BIOS startup to enter the recovery console
2. You go to the start menu, and under programs will be (in your case) "Gateway", inside which will usually be something like Recovery Centre (or center if your US), or something along them lines.

Like I said earlier, you should have burned recovery media when you first used your computer. From the Gateway program menu, via one of its utilities you will have the option to do just this if you haven't already. I strongly suggest you burn the required copies of your OS.

Then its just a case of following the on-screen options to restore your computer to factory fresh state.

A factory restore (fresh install) will wipe absolutely everything on the hard disk, and install everything it left the factory with, and only that. So all the software you've added, all your documents, video's, pictures etc will all be wiped. It will literally return it to the state it was in the first time you turned it on.

I strongly suggest you backup any media you wish to keep for that reason. Make sure you have copies of everything before you restore it, there will be no going back!

Back