My forum posts keep being deleted

PinothyJ

And since there is no 'contact us about a problem' page I am forced to post it here.

Ever since I had a run-in with Jay Pfoutz, who was deleting and editing my posts in rebuttal to CaptainCranky and virtually leaving his posts untouched, my comments on news article have been disappearing all over the place. I am not saying they are related, I am saying since that time they have been happen dropping like flies.

The latest post to be delete was to the aeroplane hacking story which I responded with 'ROADTRIP!' Considering that the news implies that the skies are no longer safe I struggle to understand how an implication that this is the perfect excuse to go on a road-trip instead is against TS policies, or even offensive. Does TS have shares in aeroplane travel of some kind?

Just, what the hell…

The latest post to be delete was to the aeroplane hacking story which I responded with 'ROADTRIP!'
I remember reading that comment and thought it was funny. I think I remember reading TS posting rules. There was something mentioned about using all caps and comments being deleted as shouting.

But I was shouting. Am I the only one who has seen any early naughties road-trip films?

Imagine if I said it in my usual tone -- 'Roadtrip…' -- how the message would have been lost…

And since there is no 'contact us about a problem' page I am forced to post it here.

Ever since I had a run-in with Jay Pfoutz, who was deleting and editing my posts in rebuttal to CaptainCranky and virtually leaving his posts untouched, my comments on news article have been disappearing all over the place. I am not saying they are related, I am saying since that time they have been happen dropping like flies.
First off, don't blame your problems on me.

Secondly, I've had plenty of things I thought you needed, and would benefit from hearing pulled.

And what concept of self serving measurement are you applying when you say, "virtually untouched"?

I've been here pushing 8 years. During that time I've had reams of posts pulled. Too edgy, too blue, too flaming, who knows? But more importantly, who cares?.

I just put it up, and take my chances. If it gets pulled, so what? There's plenty more, good and bad, where that came from.

That said, (and this is from personal experience), the more of it you blow around, the lower management's tolerance of it becomes. It sounds to me like you've made a few "friends" in the upper echelons.

Behavioural psychologists tell us we have one perspective of ourselves, and others judge us by a different standard. It's called, "perspective and meta perspective".

I have no trouble balancing or aligning mine with that of others. I'm a nasty, crotchety, miserable old son of a b****. That's how others see me as well, there's no conflict. You OTOH, might benefit from doing a bit of soul searching.

I took the time to check posts by PinothyJ that have been deleted recently. As it turns out, it's not a whole lot, a total of 4 in the past year. The "ROADTRIP" delete was unnecessary. I can't blame mailpup as he was following the guidelines to the letter, but it wasn't that bad.

Another post from June 2012 was also deleted for shouting but that one definitely looked worse and I would have deleted it myself (an entire sentence in CAPS). A third one was a duplicate post, so no issues there.

Then there's another post in which you were in an argument with captain, I don't think that should have been deleted either, but fortunately a very similar reply was not deleted further down the post.

Having all that said, I appreciate the feedback, especially when it comes from people that continue to follow TS over the years, so I hope this doesn't discourage you from posting in the future. Yet as it happens, the more your post, the more chances something will get deleted or edited here and there. We simply try to run a very clean community and have great mods helping us.

Also, in the spirit of keeping this thread on topic, let's not waste our time on pointing out who said what or when, simply, let's review this complaint as is.

I like how "more and more", (posts pulled), morphed into a "total of four" (posts pulled).
Hey, that even rhymes.

So, I suppose you could say this thread was like an episode of, "Myth Busters", delivered in iambic pentameter...Verily, twas poetry.

Using ALL CAPS in just a word or two in a context of a larger text posting is not terribly offensive. A whole sentence or paragraph quickly can become so however.

I would suggest we use moderation on the "necessity or wisdom" in deleting whole posts based upon that trivial level of infraction. Really, there are a lot of bigger fish to fry than minor percentages of all caps.

(hmm; is all bold a violation too?)

Using ALL CAPS in just a word or two in a context of a larger text posting is not terribly offensive. A whole sentence or paragraph quickly can become so however.

I would suggest we use moderation on the "necessity or wisdom" in deleting whole posts based upon that trivial level of infraction. Really, there are a lot of bigger fish to fry than minor percentages of all caps.

(hmm; is all bold a violation too?)
Well, that does it for me! All bold is too bold in the boldest sense of the term, "bold".

I'm taking back the accidental and unauthorized promotion I gave you.:mad:

To bold, or not to bold, that is the question? Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous, over-capitalization, or to take arms against a sea of literary banality....and by opposing those big letters........blah, blah, blah............................(blah).....

A lot of people tend to forget when told not to post in lrege text or all caps. Wouldn't it be better if the moderators just edit the post rather than delete it?

A lot of people tend to forget when told not to post in lrege text or all caps. Wouldn't it be better if the moderators just edit the post rather than delete it?
After all they have nothing better to do with their time, now do they?

(Hypothetical content to follow, "if I were moderating"). Ultimately, that would depend on whether or not the rest of the post has some merit, is on topic, and helps to move the discussion forward. And whether or not the moderator, (which is after all a volunteer position), has the time available to slap on his or her hip boots, and wade through a bunch of crap.

Andrea, you've come to this site with essentially nothing to offer other than an endless complaint, about being banned from another forum.

Now, at post #27, you're going to give lectures on what you think the procedures for moderating this forum should be.

I mean really, I'm pushing 9,000 posts here, and I've long ago come to grips with the fact they can pull whatever they feel like. It's very simple really, it's not our ball, it's theirs, and they can take it home whenever they like, and carry it however they choose..

Here's a straight up question, and I think it's a fair question, "what do you have to offer in the way of topical material"? IE, something about the subject of the forum, which is computing, computer news, computer repair, and so on, in lieu of complaint about other places from which you've been ejected, and suggestions about how you think this site should be run?

And BTW, "oops, I left the caps lock on by mistake", won't fly. Never has.

If the other members choose to do so, they can examine this thread. What I deem to be pointless, tedious, bitter, and obnoxious, may be a revelation and a helluva good time to someone else: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics
That's why this is a collegial atmosphere, there's a bunch of different strokes, for different folks.

Captain Cranky said:
Andrea, you've come to this site with essentially nothing to offer other than an endless complaint, about being banned from another forum.
Now where did I say that? I don't remember mentioning that in this section.

Oh yes that thread. Well so has everyone else been banned from Seven Forums, as they are very selective about who they have on that forum.

IRC has a chat, Twitter can be useful for terse comments and then there's always Facebook. Sites like this try to have some subject domain (ie technical issues with computers), but somehow we still get rants about an unfair world :sigh:

IRC has a chat, Twitter can be useful for terse comments and then there's always Facebook. Sites like this try to have some subject domain (ie technical issues with computers), but somehow we still get rants about an unfair world :sigh:
Code:
readCount == x;
postCount == y;

if (postCount > (readCount / 2)) {
  egoBoost++;
}

Shh, it's been a while since I've coded..you get the idea.

This is why I want to form an ad hoc group, to the end of having custom emoticons designed for this software. First, these are inchoherent by any definition of standard. And second, a good old fashioned :facepalm : would work wonders in appreciation of your programming efforts.

What language is that anyway, "D--"? (And then comes the :rolleyes:)).

And somehow, you have to work a 3rd variable into the equation, which would be: "postsread/ postsunderstood", or "postsread -minus- postsunderstood", whichever is the least charitable. then comes :devil:

No, no, no, it's in the first person only. The posts YOU read, versus the posts YOU understand. Therefore you can count yourself as the first victim of it! LOL

This is a prime example of "Crank's Law" in action. When AI programming techniques fail to provide a satisfactory outcome, then you must bring "AS(*)" programming techniques to bear on the problem..(y)

(*)"Artificial Stupidity"

(It's sort of like garbage in / garbage out, but willfully, and with malice aforethought).;)

Back