My friends can't get on my server

Please help!!! I give my friends the exact IP and it says "can't reach server" On my computer it works perfectly. They try direct connect and it doesn't work either! I've tried unblocking the windows firewall.

Minecraft Version: 1.2.5

Operating system: Windows 7

More then likely you need to unblock the ports on your router. **Updated: I assume this "server" is your minecraft server as you stated minecraft, the ports I listed are for minecraft**

If you are familiar with unblocking ports on the router then Unblock ports: 25565(TCP) and 25565(UDP)

If you are unfamiliar, you may need to look up a guide for your router. Or tell me the model you have and I will do my best to help you unblock the ports.

hmm; you didn't say what kind of server you're accessing {game, email, web} and there are two distinct steps:
1) for the ports being used by your server, you need to port forward from your router to the lan-ip address of the server
2) then on that server, allow inbound TCP port x,y,z as appropriate

A web server default port is 80 :)

Jo, you'll notice he stated Minecraft version 1.2.5 in his 2 paragraph there, so I'd assume it is for his Minecraft server. But I am going to update my original reply to state those ports I listed are for Minecraft.

This may be useful to you: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1295186-friends-cant-reach-server-I-can-just-fine/

The tool that is referred to is this website: http://www.yougetsignal.com/ Basically it tests the port to see if it is open or not, also has a link to display your IP address as well, make sure they are trying to join by your external IP address not your Internal address (internal being 192.168.x.x)

** Update: Another thing I read is that if you have the "whitelist=true" option on the server to add their name to the list. **

im stuck,

Also consider ensuring that your friends are not trying to hit a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address, or a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx ip, ensure that they are hitting an EXTERNAL IP. That is a very common mistake that people make.

Also check out http://portforward.com/. I believe there are guides there (ignore the software pitch :O) on how to forward ports specifically for different routers and different games.

Good luck!

Mopar Man,

I don'tknow how to find my EXTERNAL IP. Please help.

OK, actually I think I'm on a breakthrough. I'll try it.

If it works, thanks guys, if it doesn't I'll keep on looking. :|

Alright, well the site that I linked should give you your external IP. You can also use www.ipchicken.com I use that one all the time, quick and easy site to get it. This address may change from time to time, so if he can join today but in a few days can't then you will have to get your new address.

If you have Whitelist enabled, this setting means that EVERYONE is blocked, except the people in this list. Meaning it locks down the server, and you specifically have to add usernames to allow them in.

However, if you do not have whitelist enabled, this does not matter.

Does whitelist make it so it says "Can't reach Server"?
  • Whitelist -> these are OK and
  • Blacklist -> these are not to be accessed
If you use a whitelist, then this usually means ALL allowed domains must be in the list else -> blocking occurs

Give them the port. Sometimes, if a port is not the standard Minecraft port, it will not work without them manually entering it. Even then, sometimes it will require it for the default (from my experience).

hamachi is just a simplified web server - - so what were you trying to use?
btw: you could also use apache2

Back