My new SATA hard disk 250GB is not allowing me to install Windows XP (SP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While installing OS, in setup page after formatting (NTFS Format) the drive. I m getting a message “Disk cannot be formatted, your hard disk is damaged”.

I bought this drive just 5 days ago and 1st day I have connected new drive to the old 120GB IDE hard disk and I have copied all data 4rm IDE to new SATA hard disk. Now I have removed IDE hard disk and tried installing OS to new SATA hard disk, its not allowing me to install & I have taken 40GB to install OS.
Now I have connected IDE hard disk and installed OS in SATA but system as installed OS in “D:” (SATA) and “C:” (IDE) as empty hard drive.

OS is installed successfully in SATA but running very slow compare to earlier.

My System configuration (I bought this system in 2005):
Intel Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz
512 MB + 256 MB RAM
MSI 915 GL motherboard
256MB AGP card

Please let me know if you require any other information & suggest me what needs to be done.

Thanks in advance.
Harish S

This has happened to me in the past. I used a different install disk. I think the windows disks have different versions, and others are more/less compatible with different hard drives.

Hi bostonh8er,

can you make it clear, wat is dis install disk? wat is the maximum required space to install OS? What am i suppose to do to install OS?

An install disk is the disk that says Microsoft XP that you put into the computer to install it. i don't remember how much it requires, but I usually have 2 partitions, one for backup and one for the OS itself. By backup I mean like a stash of my music, video etc. downloads. The backup usually has more room then the OS drive. To install, you need to run setup, (re)format, partition and finally install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back