My PC freezes and won't boot further than the BIOS screen

I have an Acer Aspire 5332 notebook, its just over a year old now, after rebooting it froze on startup, by the BIOS screen, after that it freezes, I can't even get to the boot menu or setup.

Only major thing that happened is my charger broke but I fixed it and is working fine again. I had the idea it was the hard drive, and inserted it in an adapter on my desktop and it worked fine. The computer was working fine until I tried to restart.

The PC starts and I can hear the cpu fan, but only for a second and then it stops, the hard drive light turns off as well

Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.

Locate your memory modules, there are probably only two. Remove one of them and try to boot, if it remains the same put the module back in and remove the other one and try again.

Thanks man it worked :) however last night I had the same problem again when I did a boot scan for antivirus, I did the same thing anf it didn't work. After a few hours of turning my pc on and off again and fast enough enough, I pressed F11 and went to the troubleshoot startup, and its been working since then. I'm happy its fixed. But any idea what was wrong the second time?

You've lost me a bit. The idea was to run the PC on seperate sticks one at a time in order to see if either of the sticks were causing the problem.

For example, start the PC with stick A (B removed) and it boots ok with no faults.
Then start the PC with stick B (A removed) and errors occur.
Conclusion: Stick B is faulty and was the cause of the problems.

You got the PC to run ok by removing one of the sticks but the fault returned and then went again. Did you put the first stick you removed back in ? as that was not the idea. You need to leave the suspect stick out and just run the PC on the other stick to see if it runs fault free.

All you can do know is keep your fingers crossed that the error does not return. If it does, follow the routine again to determine which stick is causing the problem.

Thanks a ton brother. My computer wasnt starting and I was trying everything on earth untill I saw ur post. It has 192mb of ram installed(128+64). It is a old computer assembled in 1999. I love old computers! The 64MB RAM module was faulty. One of the slider pins was missing out of the 168 slider pins. Thanks a lot.

Back