My PC is very slow and keeps locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

krwlngnmieskin

Everytime I start my computer, the internet seems to lock on every program except for Firefox. None of my security programs are able to update unless I wait approx 5 minutes for the boot to complete. This computer is fairly new (a little over a year old at the most).
I also have a hard time loading Yahoo messenger (which will log off the first few tries) and Winamp (which can take up to 5 minutes to load).
My idle system process is almost always at 99% which is one reaon why I'm confused. I would think my PC would be extremely quick. I'm also experiencing serious lag when playing certain games even after lowering the settings. Please help!
I have also included a Hijack this report which is attached.

Give us a list of your security software that you have installed.
Anti-virus: AntiVir (which is currently giving me problems with updating)
Firewall: Zone alarm (which is also giving me problems. when I try to load the 'security center' all I get is a blank box.)
Anti-Ad/Spyware: Spyware guard, Lavasoft Adaware, and Spybot Search and Destroy. I know that 3 is a lot, but I have yet to find just one free program that takes care of every kind of Spy/Adware.
Popup: Google toolbar.

I also have tried editing my startup but after a few weeks, the programs that I remove from startup seem to keep coming back again.

It sounds like you could be infected. My first, best advice is for you to visit the Virus and Malware forum here at TechSpot, read the 8 Step sticky and follow it step by step. Then when finished post there with the required logs.

It sounds like you could be infected. My first, best advice is for you to visit the Virus and Malware forum here at TechSpot, read the 8 Step sticky and follow it step by step. Then when finished post there with the required logs.

Well I scanned everything and came up with nothing. No detections anywhere. I attached my logs.

The path to stop Startups:

Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup menu> UNCHECK any processes you don't want to start on boot then run in the background> Apply> OK

Reboot>>> NOTEL on the first boot after making changes, you will get nag message. You can ignore it and close after checking 'don't show this message again'. STAY in Selective Startup to keep the changes.

I'm checking the logs now and will come back and edit this post when through. <bam, and SAS are clean. I'll look for entries in the HijackThis log that you can take off of startup.

How much RAM do you have and which operating system are you using?

Route44, if you want to do this, please go ahead.

i actually used CCleaner to remove startup objects. In the past, I have done it by using 'start, run' but the objects always came back. Using CCleaner has sped it up, however it is now locking up when I start games like GTAIV.
I am running Windows XP Service pack 3
Computer:
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.21 GHz
2.00 GB of RAM
I also can't figure out why it is slow and my system idle process is at 99% most of the time.
should i get more RAM?

Route44, if you want to do this, please go ahead.

No, please Bobbye you continue. You have considerable more experience and expertise in this area. I'm glad you stepped in. :)

One thing I will add is to say to krwlngnmieskin is that you don't need more RAM. 2 gigs is a good amount under XP.

Here are the system requirements for GTA IV:

Publishers Minimum System
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 /
AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+
Display Card!: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 256MB /
ATI Radeon X1900 256MB
Memory: 1536MB
Free Disk Space: 16GB
Operating System: Windows Vista SP1 / Windows XP SP3

Publishers Recommended System
Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 /
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Display Card!: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 512MB /
ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB
Memory: 2048MB
Free Disk Space: 16GB
Operating System: Windows Vista SP1 / Windows XP SP3

You have:
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.21 GHz
2.00 GB of RAM

So the processor is over the minimum, but under the recommended. The RAM will be a problem if anything else on the system is running, including any auto-updates. 2GB is fine for Win XP, but the game alone is using almost all of it, so something has to slow down.

Remember, everything that starts on boot will be running in the background. You really aren't loaded heavily under 'normal' use, but considering the game is RAM hungry, you can't afford to have anything running in the background>> exception is antivirus and firewall is using 3rd party firewall.

Please open HijackThis, and select Do a system scan only.

Place a checkmark next to the following entries (if present):
(Do not click on Fix Checked until you have checked all on this list)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe>> Description: Windows Media Player update that allows you to use the SDMI (Secure Digital Music Initiative) protocol when using music media files.
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file) (YahooCompagnion)
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

All for printer: none needed on boot: check all
O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - {0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll

All for Javaa: none needed on startup: check all:
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

Background AV online scanning:
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab

Then, close all other open windows, leaving only HijackThis open, and select Fix checked

Boot into Safe Mode
* Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
* Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK all of the following:
MsPMSPSv.exe + any other entries for Windows Media Player
mbamgui.exe (for Malwarebytes which we will remove)
SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
ALL HP entries> Digital Imaging, Smart Web Printing, hpztsb07.exe
ALL Java entries> Jqs, Josie,
Apply> OK

Start> Run> services.msc> right click on each Service> Properties> set Startup type as given:
CTsvcCDA.EXE> Manual
FLEXnet Licensing Service> Manual
iPod Service> Manual
JavaQuickStarterService> Manual
Pml Driver HPH11 - HP> Manual
Google Software Updater (gusvc)> Disable

Open IE> Tools> Manage Add-on> find the Panda activescan> highlight> Disable

Reboot into Normal Mode> NOTE: you will get the nag message> ignore it and close it after checking 'don't show message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

There are some Registry entries that could start some of these up again. Run CCleaner AFTER doing all of the above. If that doesn't stop the returns, I'll have you run SDFix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back