My PC restarts as it wants why?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pioneerx01

Like I said My PC restarts when it wants. When I watch a movie, surf a web, type,... It is like someone pushed the restart button. No error screen on the start up. It is a brand new emachine and is is cooled well. So, why it restarts as it wants?
-Thanks...

1. do you mean that it starts all by it self without you initiating the start, OR, 2. does it switch it self off, and then back on again while you are using it?
if it is number 1, take it back to the shop. if it is number 2, go to this LOCATION and follow the instructions for cleaning your pc, as it could be a worm such as sasser.

my comp did this for a week or so just restarted it self, i didnt really know what to do so i just left it and it seemed to get over it and stopped doing it, with any luck it stops doing it soon

Go and read this thread HERE and see if it helps you to find the culprit.

If it doesn`t, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps here.

Regards Howard :)

You might have this worm, W32/ircbot.worm!ms05-039. description: A medium risk worm. You can be infected simply by going online. Once infected, your system may restart continuously. Try using Kaspersky or ZA internet security suite. Kaspersky removed it for me.

OK,

I have ZA and I have ran it 3x and it did not pick up any worms, so I guess it is not that. I followed Howards instructions and did what I could. I have updated video drivers, disabled auto restarts. Rest should not apply, because the PC in question is only 3 months old. The RAM (#7) might be the issue, because the PC has one 512 stick, but the system shows it is only about 389, but I will address that later. If anyone has an idea on how to fix it feel free to comment. Back to the restarts... Now the PC does no restart, but I het thew blue screen taht appears whrn you miss install a hardware or driver. I says the PC has been shut down to prevent any damages... Now, I have looked through the event logs (#2) and the errors are in the related to the reboots by time. Each seems to have different error than the other, but some are the same. So, any more ideas how to fix this are greatly appreciate. I think I will post the mindups if I figure out how to... Thanks for all your help and please keep in touch on this issue.

hummm, being an eMachines and all....I would think you could have a hardware problem, like a PSU maybe?!? You say it does this only when watching a movie or surfing the web?

Well I don't think it is the PSU, the PC is only 3 months old and most of the time it is off. The restarts happen randomly. For example I was on TechSpot with Firefox and the PC was doing nothing, I went to the bathroom and boom, when I came back PC was in the middle of restarting itself, so I do not know what is causing the problem. it is making me extremely mad.

Process of elimination.

Firstly, to stop your PC restarting do the following: Control Panel - System - Advanced - Under Start-Up & Recovery: Settings - Under System failure clear the check-box "Automatically restart". This way you will get a BSOD next time it happens. If the BSOD relates to a .sys file its more likely software or Windows, if its not, its more likely to be hardware.

From what you have told us, I think it's either RAM or your graphics card, but that's only a guess. To be sure of hardware faults try this free program called Burn-in-test. Install it and run it. If your PC blue screens or hangs or restarts, its definately a hardware problem. Download it free here: http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

Post back with how you get on.

Ok,

I just ran Burn in test pro and the PC failed the test. It did not restart (thank god), but all the errors are in the 2D graphics section. So, now what do I do and haw do I fix it? I have already downloaded a new driver from Nvidia web, and I have lowered the graphic acceleration to none (as advised by Microsoft), but it still sucks. Ideas anyone???

Do you have an on-board video card? If you do, try running your games and whatever else while using the on-boards graphics card, and take the NVIDIA card out. Run the burn-in-test again and post your results. If it fails again, it is not your graphics card.

I love burn-in-test! :grinthumb

it is on-board video card, so I cant take anything out. Let me try to install some games and see what happens. (this is my aunts PC not mine, so no games on it). I will let you know...

mikescorpio81 said:
Process of elimination.

If the BSOD relates to a .sys file its more likely software or Windows, if its not, its more likely to be hardware.

Post back with how you get on.

The BSOD relates to .sys. To be more exact: "NDIS.sys", but I dont know what to do about it. So, now is it a video card or windows?

I have seen this before. For me it was to do with the NVIDIA software.
Try uninstalling NVIDIA software and re-installing the more up-to-date version found on their website. Or you can re-install the original from CD (if you have it), but to be safe, try and find the more recent version on the net.

I also experienced problems with ndis.sys to do with on-board Wireless NIC. ndis.sys relates to NIC's in general, so you should perhaps update drivers for your NIC's and try the following:

Create a second hardware profile, whereby you disable NIC's one by one. (Control Panel - System - Hardware tab - Hardware Profiles - Copy your existing profile, rename it, disable NIC's one by one as you restart and use the newly created hardware profile.)

Hope this also helps ...

check your drivers
also run memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or CD for 7 passes
run crap cleaner registry repair

I updated both driver and since than no restarts, so I will keep the PC running as long as I can and see what happens. If it does not restart or freeze by end of the day I think we did it. If it does I will get back to you.

Ok, It happened again, BSOD again with "NDIS.sys" (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) again! I will try to run memtest 86+ and will post results.

here are the mindups 1-5

...and here are 6-10. Pleas look through them and tell me if there is something you can do. Thanks

You have a rootkit infection - huy32.sys. See HERE for the same problem.

BugCheck 100000D1, {8, 2, 0, f72f8bef}
Probably caused by : system32:huy32.sys ( huy32+5faa )

0: kd> lmvm huy*
start end module name
f358d000 f359f000 huy32 T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: huy32.sys
Image path: system32:huy32.sys
Image name: huy32.sys Timestamp: Tue Mar 13 04:10:24 2007 (45F5A5A0)

Well spotted peterdiva, ;)

I have moved this thread to our security and the web forum.

pioneerx01:

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

This thread is for the use of pioneerx01 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I would like to give thanks to all parties involved in solving this problem. You all were helpful to me in some way. Howard, after a careful consideration I have decided to do a complete system reformat. Thank you so much for your help.

-Pioneer

Possibly a good choice and thanks for letting us know.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

This thread is for the use of pioneerx01 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

NO!
I happened again. Different BSOD this time. No .sys file this time, but now it is BAD_POOL_CALLER. I posted the only 2 mindups that the PC has. Please look through them. I have installed ZA and Windows firewall is up. I am sick of this PC.

Both your minidumps crash at vsdatant.sys. This is your Zonealarm firewall. Uninstalling Zonealarm will fix your problem. Obviously, you`ll need to install another firewall programme, such as Kerio or Comodo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back