My Sony DVD RW DRU-840A will not read anymore

I just reinstalled XP on my desktop on a fresh hard drive. Was able to load 2 disks of programs using the dvd drive then it just would not read anymore dvds. The icon shows in My Computer and is listed in the Device Manager. The icon will change to whatever is on the dvd I put in but then displays the message "only part of a read process memory or write process memory request was completed" I uninstalled the secondary ide controller & rebooted and nothing changed. I then uninstalled the device in the device manager rebooted and again nothing happened. If I am not mistaken there are no drivers for this and so they would not need to be updated right ? What am I missing. is something swithed off or hooked up wrong. the hard drive is on the ide cable first then the dvd drive cause this is the only way both would work. a computer dude did that. I should have SP3 installed as well as whatever updates windows keeps sending me
And if I got a sata dvd drive would this happen too. cause i only have one place on the board to hook up a ide cable
Thanks for helping

There will be generic drivers installed from your XP disc try this method to reinstall them.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click System and Maintenance, and then click System,
On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
Restart the computer.
After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

If that makes no diference the chances are that the drive has failed. There are two lasers in the drive have you tried it with both DVD's and CD's, you might find it works with one and not the other.

Make sure you have the hard drive jumper set for Master and the DVD jumper set for Slave. It is, apparently, much better to have the Hard Drive on the end of the cable.

You should have no problems setting up a SATA DVD drive as long as you install the correct SATA drivers for your motherboard, they will be available from the manufacturers site.

Back