My system boots as fast as usual, but opening applications take WAY too slow

wrthlsscrture

Opening applications take way too long.. doesn't apply to Chrome, though. If I end all of the Chrome tasks, opening apps is still slow AF. For example, opening videos and music take too long with every media players I have; pictures load normally; although this doesn't apply to games.. although it did affect my GTA San Andreas.
BTW, it also affected Dragon Center (If I pressed the Dragon Center button on my laptop 2 times, it would pop up immediately, but now it won't) and the other MSI apps I have!

I have already tried running a Malwarebytes scan, and all it detected was just my monero mining software (xmr-stak), which I already have installed long before the incident, already cleaned up my system with iolo System Mechanic, and yet nothing seemed to change.

I noticed that when I start a program it instantly pops up in Task Manager and uses 20% of my CPU for until the program actually opens (30-90 seconds, although after opening that program for the 2nd time it's only 10-30 seconds)

What do I do?

Don't know Dragon Center... but my guess would be that this is an audio issue (mismatched driver, file corruption, etc) - and that is JUST a guess. Make a listing of your programs - divided into two with those which are affected in the first list - look for what may be in common and NOT in the second list. Then focus in on the likely underlying issues. It could be thermal - and your system merely needs cleaning - or a weakening HDD - or a corrupted driver.

If it is really frustrating, you can always do a clean install.

What AV product(s) are you running? Several will scan the program every time it is opened (aka executed), adding to the launch time.

Some can be tuned to NOT scan at runtime ... take a look at the settings.

You might try last known good configuration if it has the option, especially if it is a registry problem. A virus can change settings in the registry.

A common problem I've seen on Windows 8 and 10 is Disk Usage reaches 100% due to some background windows tasks. A screenshot of the task manager's resource management tab when you're experiencing the slowness may help us diagnose the issue for you. :)

A common problem I've seen on Windows 8 and 10 is Disk Usage reaches 100% due to some background windows tasks. A screenshot of the task manager's resource management tab when you're experiencing the slowness may help us diagnose the issue for you. :)
in a command prompt window, use CLEANMGR

I had to disabled SuperFetch and Windows Search.
Don't understand that, but if you run the command show, once on your login and also click on clean system, you'll free up lots of temp files and old DMP files.

Yes, I know what they are and if you're concerned about 'background programs' there's far more to be considered. Take a look at Services.msc to see all the service programs and ask yourself, "what's this and do I need it?" -- just look for now as many are truly needed

OK, here's the scoop.

Your on Win/10 with too little RAM and run many different programs.

Superfetch is a Windows service that is intended to make your applications launch faster and improve your system respond speed. It does so by pre-loading programs you frequently use into RAM so that they don't have to be called from the hard drive every time you run them

Yes it is a known condition for win/10. I've been paid for systems performance analysis for many years -- I speak the truth -- 8GB is marginal for Win/10. Your solution is effective but preempts best performance. It's your system and your choice and of no consequence to me.

@jobeard I do understand the massive amounts of parallelism which Win10 requires - 50-80 instances of svhost and a dozen of chrome and of runtime broker. Happily I have enough RAM so this is still a relatively small % of total. When is this crowding capacity? 50%?

@SirDigby I experienced a similar issue on my 12 GB RAM system. As I recall Superfetch was having a real bad time, gobbling memory, buzzing around like a mad housefly, heavy HDD use. I knocked it and when it reappeared at next update, it was well-behaved again.

Task Manager is my friend... https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/high-memory-usage-windows-10-solved/

@jobeard I do understand the massive amounts of parallelism which Win10 requires - 50-80 instances of svhost and a dozen of chrome and of runtime broker. Happily I have enough RAM so this is still a relatively small % of total. When is this crowding capacity? 50%?

Task Manager is my friend... https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/high-memory-usage-windows-10-solved/

Yes TM is very helpful. For context, I'm still/forever on Win/7 Pro SP1 on a laptop, so performance & battery life are top priorities to me.
I've pruned the system to 81 processes, which includes FF (participating here at TS) and Thunderbird email client; 45% memory use and at idle 4-5% cpu.

Capacity? MS holds some memory in reserve (far too much my liking) so ~80% would be a practical limit. Disk? that's really hard to predict as the onboard controller and driver have more limits than a HD (also true for an SSD).

Few realize that the Registry and Pagefile.sys both need defrag (see Defraggler) -- maybe once/yr. (btw: set a hard low/upper pagefile size about 2-3 x real ram). Both of these have more I/O than anything else on the system.

@jobeard Thanks for the information. I have 'defragged' Pagefile.sys when using a HDD, but I do it by removing it entirely, rebooting, then defragging the entire drive and after all that then reinstalling Pagefile.sys as a single monolithic file 3x RAM. Since I switched to SSD I have stopped this practice as advice seems to be to avoid defragging SSDs in general. Is this wrong?

Once the pagefile has a fixed size & defragged once, it should never grow again.

Would encourage use of Defragger over your R/R process. Both the pagefile & registry get DF during reboot and before the OS is loaded :grin:

Back