1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

My system boots as fast as usual, but opening applications take WAY too slow

By wrthlsscrture
Jul 12, 2019 at 4:48 AM
Post New Reply
  1. Opening applications take way too long.. doesn't apply to Chrome, though. If I end all of the Chrome tasks, opening apps is still slow AF. For example, opening videos and music take too long with every media players I have; pictures load normally; although this doesn't apply to games.. although it did affect my GTA San Andreas.
    BTW, it also affected Dragon Center (If I pressed the Dragon Center button on my laptop 2 times, it would pop up immediately, but now it won't) and the other MSI apps I have!

I have already tried running a Malwarebytes scan, and all it detected was just my monero mining software (xmr-stak), which I already have installed long before the incident, already cleaned up my system with iolo System Mechanic, and yet nothing seemed to change.

I noticed that when I start a program it instantly pops up in Task Manager and uses 20% of my CPU for until the program actually opens (30-90 seconds, although after opening that program for the 2nd time it's only 10-30 seconds)

What do I do?

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,062   +1,187

Don't know Dragon Center... but my guess would be that this is an audio issue (mismatched driver, file corruption, etc) - and that is JUST a guess. Make a listing of your programs - divided into two with those which are affected in the first list - look for what may be in common and NOT in the second list. Then focus in on the likely underlying issues. It could be thermal - and your system merely needs cleaning - or a weakening HDD - or a corrupted driver.

If it is really frustrating, you can always do a clean install.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,883   +1,530

What AV product(s) are you running? Several will scan the program every time it is opened (aka executed), adding to the launch time.

Some can be tuned to NOT scan at runtime ... take a look at the settings.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...