Inactive My Windows XP computer is acting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
A series of weird things have been happening to me recently. Here's where it all started. First of all, at the welcome screen, I went to turn off my computer and instead of turn off computer, it said "Turn off Hi". That was very weird and made me suspicious (User accounts were still displayed and working properly at this time). The next day, my user accounts disappeared from the welcome screen! To login, I tapped Ctrl-Alt-Delete 2 times to be able to successfully logon. When trying to edit my user accounts, none appeared accept for the guest account which said it was turned off. Being as suspicious as I was, I went to restart my computer to go to safe mode and scan with Norton Antivirus 2011. When my computer restarts, it says shutting down for 10 seconds then it restarts. Well, upon trying to restart my computer, my mouse made some sudden jolts all over the screen in the last couple of seconds of the shut down process. It was moving all over the place. Funny thing is that it has never done that before!

Could this mean that someone is trying to hack into my computer or is this some kind of virus (that's what I'm leading towards). "Turn off Hi"? User accounts disappeared? AND sudden mouse movements all over the screen when shutting down!? (All happened within a matter of 2 days)

In case your wondering, I am using windows xp sp 3 with Norton Antivirus 2011.

Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to TechSpot! I should be able to help resolve this for you.

My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.
If I have not replied for 2 days, you can send me a PM reminder. Include the URL of your thread. Please do not send me a PM to tell me your logs are up.
If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================
This sound like what you're seeing:
Turn Off Hi Speed Usb Device Message

Category: Windows
Sub-Category: XP, Windows Server
Short Description (Title): How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub" warning message [Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 835967]

Information:
If you plug in a high speed USB 2.0 device to a USB port that does not have high speed support, you receive the following message:
"HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub
A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB hub.
For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

Does this sound like part of the problem? If Yes, follow this:
To turn off this error message:
  • Click on Start> Run> Type in devmgmt.msc> Enter
  • Click on the + sign to the left of the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section at the bottom of the screen.
  • Find and double click on process with Universal or the word Open in the title.
  • In the properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab> select the Don't tell me about USB errors check box.
Exit and Close.
NOTE If you turn off this option, all other USB error messages are also turned off.
=======================================
I don't think you're being hacked. But I don't have enough information yet.

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
=============================================
If you are having a problem keeping the system up and/or having an internet connection, you can download the scans to a flash drive, then connect that to the problem computer to run the scans.

If that is still a problem, I'll have you try Safe Mode.

When I see these logs, I will get some idea of what running on the system. And if the USB speed could apply yo you, I will instruct you in how to change the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back