1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

NASA opens the International Space Station for commercial business

By Shawn Knight · 7 replies
Jun 7, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. NASA on Friday announced plans to open the International Space Station for commercial business including tourism.

NASA said private astronaut missions to the ISS of up to 30 days will be permitted. Should the market support it, the agency could accommodate up to two short-duration private astronaut missions per year. Such missions will use a US-based spacecraft developed under NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. The first mission could take place as early as 2020.

A private sector trip to the ISS from a company like Boeing or SpaceX would likely cost north of $50 million, with NASA receiving $35,000 for each night an astronaut spends aboard the Space Station. A more detailed breakdown of costs is shown in the chart above.

In the long-term, NASA said its goal is to “become one of many customers purchasing services from independent, commercial and free-flying habitable destinations in low-Earth orbit.”

Carissa Christensen, CEO of Bryce Space and Technology, a consulting firm for the space industry, said it is a smart policy move by NASA in that it engages a broader range of industry and increases visibility for space and the Space Station. “That said, the revenues generated from tourism and filming are likely to yield more good public relations than financial returns.”

Permalink to story.

2. ckm88

ckm88 TS Booster Posts: 117   +85

Yep. I can totally afford it.

3. fluffydestroyer

fluffydestroyer TS Booster Posts: 48   +29

Hold on a minute, it cost 11,250$ to take a **** in space ? Thats premium **** right there.

Burty117 and ckm88 like this.
  4. Rvnwlf

Rvnwlf TS Rookie

If you have enough money to make that trip you might as well be S***ing pure gold.

5. Hardware Geek

Hardware Geek TS Enthusiast Posts: 53   +30

They make pills that make you $hit gold... I kid you not.

6. netman

netman TS Addict Posts: 280   +87

Donald Trump should be the first passenger!

Uncle Al likes this.
  7. ghostf1re

ghostf1re TS Guru Posts: 407   +260

Anyone got 50mil laying around they want to get rid of? I could use a vacation.

8. Dimitrios

Dimitrios TS Guru Posts: 430   +310

Nah Democrats steal our money look up my state, CT and New Haven spending our money for personal & office spending.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...