NASA sues astronaut over 40-year-old camera

Totally agree. I'm sure he was paid well, but come on, its a 40 year old camera, NASA aren't going to miss it, and after everything he has done (like many others) you think they'd let him have the right to keep at least something as a keepsake.

Mental stuff tbh.

Methinks that NASA is worried that the camera will go for ~50M$ or so. Even though it was only estimated to be worth ~50-80 thousand $, there are those who pay a lot for that kind of space equipment.

And really, in theory; NASA can not reclaim the camera if "the consignor" finds evidence that it was in fact given to him. I wouldn't say that NASA should not bother with the camera, it's worth quite a lot per say.

Or maybe yet a new "thou shalt not carry a creature bigger than yourself across the state-border"-law will spring out of this.
"Space venturers of the United States of America are not allowed to keep obsolete equipment after a voyage"

Let the hero keep the widget.

Well its probably a sign of times considering the economic hardship the government over there is having, so may be NASA is thinking if they can put their dirty hands on the camera, and then sell it for $$$$$$$##$$, they can send a manned mission to Mars ?

Then maybe China wants a piece of the action?... From what I've heard, China plans to put a woman on the surface of Mars by 2070. Preferably on Mr. Armstrong's moonwalk-anniversary.

Maybe NASA wants to stick with the camera, launch a voyage, and sell it once it's completed? ($$$$$$$##$$$!)

Back