NBC's Peacock will try to differentiate itself using tiered pricing structure, unique UI

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: NBC will reportedly lean on a multi-tiered pricing structure and a unique user interface to differentiate its upcoming Peacock streaming service from the competition. Will that - plus NBC's vast library of content - be enough to get people to sign up?

Sources familiar with the matter told CNBC that NBC is planning a free, ad-supported tier albeit with limited content. There will also be a less restrictive version with limited advertising for $5 per month and an ad-free tier priced at $10 a month.

By targeting multiple price points, NBC can effectively reach a variety of demographics that other services simply aren’t catering to.

When logging in, users will reportedly get something they won’t find with other offerings. Sources say NBC Peacock will open with a live video stream, perhaps from the NBC News Now service that’ll be integrated into Peacock or maybe an on-demand show. Personally, I’m not so sure that sounds all that appealing as it reminds me of auto-playing ads on the web but to each their own.

At launch, Peacock’s digital shelves will be stocked with over 15,000 hours of content including The Office, Friday Night Lights and Cheers as well as new original programming like the Saved by the Bell reboot that was announced a few months back.

Peacock remains in beta but is still reportedly on track to launch publicly in April. One thing the streaming service won’t offer, we’re told, is coverage of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. That’s understandable considering the company probably doesn’t want to cannibalize its traditional pay TV business too much.

Permalink to story.

Wait, that logo is supposed to be a peacock?

Never would've guessed that.....

More and more these streaming services are becoming exclusive to their particular brand and are ignoring that people want a wide selection across all the major networks. I would think it safe to predict that in the not too different future there is going to be a few major failures .....

Why not? They've been using that logo literally since the black & white TV days, 60+ years ago. It's common knowledge really.

Why not? They've been using that logo literally since the black & white TV days, 60+ years ago. It's common knowledge really.
Maybe for ancient people, or even people that live in the US. But I have had no reason to figure out what the symbol is otherwise.
Apparently, decades ago when color came out the NBC logo looked more like a peacock, http://big13.com/NBC Peacock/Peacock_Cleanup.JPG
See, that is a peacock. The one above just looked like a weird fan of colours on quick glance lol.

Yeah no. The old logo was quite evidently a peacock. The current one it looks like a .jpg error. On tube TVs of the late 90s, early 2000s, ece you count see that little blib unless you pressed your nose into the tube. It's more visible in high def, but you still need to look for it. After all, that logo is usually a few inches across, and most people dont sit close enough to see it at a glance.

Yeah no. The old logo was quite evidently a peacock. The current one it looks like a .jpg error. On tube TVs of the late 90s, early 2000s, ece you count see that little blib unless you pressed your nose into the tube. It's more visible in high def, but you still need to look for it. After all, that logo is usually a few inches across, and most people dont sit close enough to see it at a glance.
I was alive for most of that time and remember very well NBC using the various versions of the Peacock theme. Thanks for trying though.

I didn't know either until NBC had announced they would retire their "peacock" logo. If you look very closely you'll see the outline of what I guess is supposed to be the beak. Anyways, I hated the symbol and think "peacock" is a terrible name.

Back