Nearly half of all iOS devices are already running iOS 8

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Apple has revealed that nearly half of the devices that connect to the iOS App Store are now running its latest mobile OS. As of September 21, the adoption rate of iOS 8 stood at 46 percent, according to the numbers released by the company on its App Store Distribution page.

With this, the number of Apple devices running the outgoing iOS 7 has come down drastically, although it still rules the land with 49 percent share, while only 5 percent of users are on earlier versions.

Before the release of iOS 8, the proportion of users on iOS 7 was at around 92 percent, while 7 percent were using iOS 6 and only 1 percent were using earlier versions of Apple's mobile operating system.

The installation spike can also be partly attributed to the record-breaking sales of the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, which sold more than 10 million units over the weekend.

Last week, there were reports that Apple's latest mobile operating system was off to a slower start than iOS 7, with an adoption rate of around 17 percent in the first 24 hours of its rollout, which is around half of what iOS 7 saw on its first day.

That could have been partly because of the storage issues faced by users while upgrading to iOS 8, as installing it over-the air requires around 5.7GB of free space on your device, and the number varies depending on the device, shooting up to 7GB on certain iPad models.

Permalink to story.

This is such a lame thing to tout. Apple forces the OS onto older devices and you can either install it or you lose 5GB of storage space from the download you can't delete. Or if you do manage to run an older system, they'll break vital features. (Facetime is broken for devices running 6 unless you move to 7 for a new security cert - because it wouldn't be possible to just update the certificate...)

This is only an impressive stat that shows how good an OS is when it's by choice and not done automatically or coerced.

This is such a lame thing to tout. Apple forces the OS onto older devices and you can either install it or you lose 5GB of storage space from the download you can't delete. Or if you do manage to run an older system, they'll break vital features. (Facetime is broken for devices running 6 unless you move to 7 for a new security cert - because it wouldn't be possible to just update the certificate...)

This is only an impressive stat that shows how good an OS is when it's by choice and not done automatically or coerced.

And when your old device can't keepup with updated software (lag, battery issues, crashes), they force you to get new iDevice.

Apple at it again. This is yet another attempt at releasing the same OS with a few new features and unfortunately everyone is falling for it. The screen size is nothing new to us Android and Windows Phone users.

As you can tell I am not a fan of Apple devices and in my line of work I have to use and review them being the IT manager for a large Telco. I am waiting for the day Windows Phone starts growing and kicking Apple's IPhone's ***!!

Probably because of people wanting to take advantage of the ultra fast radio wave charging with their microwaves. That's one feature that makes me consider getting an iphone. Google really needs to implement that into Android!

Back