Need a hand- building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I have a budget of £200 (about $330), and I've decided on some components- basically I just wanted to check that there's nothing much better I could get for my money.
(I already have a case, monitor, PSU, OS, and optical drives sorted).

I'd use my computer mainly for composing music and mixing live stuff, not so much gaming- probably the most complex thing I'd want to run is Project64. I already have a Soundblaster Audigy sound card.

CPU- AMD Athlon X2 7850 AM2 2.8GHz 3MB Black Edition
Mobo- Asus AM2/AM2+ GeForce 8200 DDR2 ATX Audio Lan (onboard graphics are fine, so long as it can run Project64, which should be no problem)
RAM- Corsair Memory 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ NON ECC CL5
HDD- Hitachi 3.5" 320GB 16MB SATA HDD

That all adds up to £180... so I have room to make changes here and there. My current system is a 256mb pentium 4 so anything would be an improvement... :)
Also, if there's some major mess up in the components I've chosen, please let me know- I'm new to this. :)

Good choices, but for a very few dollars more, you could get a Samsung, Seagate, or Western Digital hard drive.
The Hitachi has had such a long history of problems, that they have to prove they are ready for prime time. Last time I looked, they were still at the bottom for reliability, with only Tri-Gem having more disasters.

Would a 2.3 GHz triple core Phenom be much better than a 2.8 GHz dual core Athlon?
Sorry if this is blindingly obvious...

Anyway, thanks for the tips, Rage! :)

Well, it is newer technology but if you are not into gaming, the Athlon is a more reliable unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back