Need a Wireless Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackson117

I'm looking for a reasonably priced wireless adapter for my
Titan Krypt" AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80GHz Quad Core DDR2 System

Could someone recommend an internal one or should I get a usb one?

Your first choice is one that connects using Ethernet. Get a USB ONLY if you don't have a NIC.

Why? The USB adds a component in the data path and needs an extra driver -- which is untrue of the Ethernet solution.

Also, what wireless standard does your router use, 802.11g or b or n?

This probably belongs under "Storage and Networking."

Erm

Im not completely sure...erm its an orange livebox i think its the 811 thing. I didnt realy understand the first reply...are you talking about a wired connection with the ethernet??? I was thinking about the wireless boards to fit in to my unit of wether to just buy a usb...i will be doing online gaming probably so do i need it to be fast?

i will be doing online gaming probably so do i need it to be fast?
How it is installed doesn't matter; if you need speed, then wireless is not the right path; Use a PCI NIC card of 1000/100/10mbps and wire it to your router (which needs 1000mbps too). Realise that your connection speed is primarily controlled by your ISP.

Ok...that is helpfull but there is no way of me wiring my system directly to the router as i already have a computer wired to it (not enough space). If i was to go for a wireless connection what would be the best approach given the earlier information... :)

add a switch like this
Code:
modem--router--switch-->4 connections
          |
           +--->3 connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back