Need advice on new GPU, possibly CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiler1133

i have been using my current computer without upgrades for almost 5 years(dont know if thats alot O.o) Now my computer cant play all the newer gamessuch as Call of Duty MW2. I need a new video card and maybe a cpu.I have decided between 2 video cards.Which one is better and can my computer run them?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150469

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127469

Also my computer is a Dell dimension E510

Thanks

Yes you're right, 5 years is a lot in terms of computers. And from searching around I found varies specs ranging from Pentium 4's to Pentium D's with a gig of RAM and on-board graphics for your E510. Either way that is an old system and even with a GPU upgrade would still slow down gaming significantly with newer games and might just be a waste of money. If you have the ability to go with an entire new build or purchase (we can help) that would be the best recommendation. You can of course provide us with your specific system info and we can try and find the best fit. But it'll still be severely gimped with modern games.

A system might be worth upgrading if its only 2, maybe 3 years old. After that, the price vs performance you get is severely reduced; its just not worth it anymore.

If your computer has a PCIe x16 slot, you can buy a new graphics card (even the latest and greatest), plug it in, and see if that helps (post a budget, we can help you find one). If you find that its still unbearably slow, its not a wasted investment, as any new computer will still accept any PCIe graphics card. This way, if it doesn't work out, you will need to fork out more for a motherboard, CPU and possibly RAM (so buy that graphics card with this in mind).

5 years ago was about the time PCIe was being introduced I think. When checking your system's specs, don't get confused between PCIe and PCI. They are two completely different things.

i was planning to buy a new cpu,power system,more space anda video card

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681
tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2795126&CatId=139
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822011

or would be better off with a new computer

Once you give us a budget we'd be able to tell you whether you're better off with a new system or a simple upgrade.

Also give us the specs of your present system.

Since you've got a pcie x16 on your comp, go ahead and buy a "reasonable" graphics card.

Like I said, worst case scenario is that your CPU is still too slow to run the games you want, so you run out and buy the rest of the system, while reusing that graphics card you bought.

I reckon the nVidia GTX260 is a good card. It doesn't support DirectX11, but games today still support DirectX9. Personally I don't buy into the hype.

Like Rit said, please provide us with a budget or a ballpark so we have something to work with and system specs.

Also what you linked before is sadly not possible, you can't just replace your intel cpu with an amd one. And most likely you wont even be able to replace it with a better intel cpu as your motherboard is too old. Having to replace so many parts makes it in my view not worth the investment and you're better off getting a new PC. I'm also going to guess that you don't have a retail OS either but just an OEM version that came with your Dell.

You could of course just go with your original plan and just get a psu/gpu of your choice. Just remember your cpu will surely bottleneck the new video card.

Bottlenecking is a problem, but all that really means you're not unleashing the full potential. You will still see a huge improvement just upgrading the video card, which can be done if you've got a really tight budget.

I have read all the comments and have thought about it.Ill just buy a new computer.
but can you tell me which computer is better for gaming?

tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=610273
&CatId=5138

tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5722406&csid=_21

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103237

Thanks

Tigerdirect link aren't working but the newegg one is hardly better...I think since you've so far failed to provide system specifications.

The eMachines will definitely not be good. Onboard graphics just won't do for gaming.

Like I said before, provide us with a budget so we can tell you what would be best.

I would say hold off on getting a new machine if you can't spare more for a new PC at the moment. You don't need $1000+ to make a decent gaming machine anymore, but $450 is just not enough to make something competitive with modern games. I say wait until you can set aside around $700 and you won't be disappointed. Just remember to factor in an OS if you don't already have one.

Hey guys i was just wondering whats the difference between DDR2 and DDR3

also whats a Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar)
is it the same as regualr HD 5450?

so...... does that mean it's good or bad?

What?

DDR3 is definitely the way to go now if you're building a new system.

As for the "Cedar" family of ATI cards, they're not really meant for high-end gaming. Neither is "Redwood"(HD 5500 and 5600 Series). "Juniper"(HD 57xx), "Cypress"(HD 58xx) and "Hemlock"(HD 5970) are more geared towards gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back