Need advice on what video card to purchase

jingoku

Hello
I'm new to this community. I needed some advice on what video card to purchase. I'm not much of a gamer so my budget is rather small(aroundRs3000). I've shortlisted a few cards - Nvidia(XFX) 8400gs(costs around Rs1800), 9400gt(512mb, 1gb), 9500gt(1gb).
Ati Radeon(XFX) HD4350(512mb, 1gb), HD4550(1gb), HD4650(512mb, 1gb).
There are other manufacturers as well such as ASUS, MSI to name a few. The ones I'm having difficulty in choosing are 8400gs and Ati HD4350(512mb or 1gb). I read a few posts about Ati HD4350 having overheating issues(something related to not having a fan), some installation issues as well.
My PC specs are: Intel D946GZIS, CORE 2 DUO 2.2 GHz, 2gb RAM.
(Hope I have posted in the right section)

I just signed up on this thing and don't claim to know nothin' about nothin'. I'm not a big gamer either, but I'm big enough fan of one game to start the build hunt. What I've learned is research. Check out gpureview.com and you can compare each card against each other. I compared the 9500 GT (because it's cheap and seems like the best bang for your buck) to other cards of intrest and thought it beat comparative specs across the board, but I don't think its fast enough to play a lot of newer games. It did get great reviews, but the card itself is already 2 years + old.

Hmm...

You mentioned newer games, what sort of games are you thinking of?

Your processor should be good enough for any game for now and the near future, as long as you keep to mid-ish range graphics cards.

Hi jingoku. Are you from India? The best bets for you at that price would be the 9500GT or the Radeon HD 4650.

Hi Ritwik!
tumi kaymon aacho? (Hope I said it right :p)
My prospects just got a shot in the arm. I'm willing to spend upto Rs4000.
The Radeon HD 4670 trumps over the 4650 hands down, almost double the performance
Although the operating temperature is a cause for worry(My links won't get posted-protocal rules :p).
My friend uses a XFX Nvidia 8400GS and even though he uses a conventional monitor, yet he's able to play the latest games(splinter cell-conviction, cod-mw2 to, gow to name a few).
A while back his smps went kaput, would my psu be able to handle that much power of the 4670?(I'm an uninformed participator :p)
Which one should I opt for, Radeon HD 4670(512mb) or 4670(1gb)?? Or is there some better performing card around the same range?
Also, would this card be considerd suitable as a long term investment?

4670 is a relatively quick card, but the extra 512mb of memory isn't really useful, 512 is fine.
Oh and you didn't mention your powersupply actually...

Also, would this card be considerd suitable as a long term investment?
I'm not much of a gamer
Without games, you won't really need a graphics card.

Ok Jingoku you got that rightr. :p

Now to the card. The HD 4670 would be a good enough investment if you aren't looking for heavy duty gaming. The 1GB version would have no significant benefits over the 512MB card unless you're gaming at a very high res.

What PSU do you presently own? A decent 400W PSU should run that card just fine. :)

Without games, you won't really need a graphics card.

Haha. Well that is a valid argument! :D
I was playing Alien Swarm on steam and it was lagging like heck, rather sluggish which got me annoyed and I decided to get a video card. I was also an ardent Ubuntu user and to use it's 3d desktop and other features to the fullest of it's potential also required a video card(4350 would have been suitable). My friend's upgradation from the Nvidia 8400GS to the Msi 5770 Hawk is the reason for the change from 4350 to 4670(peer pressure man :p).
I'll get back to you on the power supply.
On a lighter note, I think I might just edge out your 9600GT :p
@Ritwik: Considering the future prospects high resolution would be an incentive. What do you think?
P.S.: Can't use the pm function... yet!(I'm from Delhi)

I was playing Alien Swarm on steam and it was lagging like heck, rather sluggish which got me annoyed and I decided to get a video card. I was also an ardent Ubuntu user and to use it's 3d desktop and other features to the fullest of it's potential also required a video card
Thats true, ubuntu effects are pretty flashy, and if you do play games, even sparingly, I think it is well worth the money for a 4670.
BTW I think my 9600gt edges out a 4670 :).

Its already minimal, but the jump from 512 -> 1gb won't really do anything.
Honestly, had the 4670 been available, I would have gotten it given current pricing.

Hmm.. The price difference between the 4670(512mb) and (1gb) is around Rs600-700, but it seems 1gb doesn't offer much to get excited about. I think I might go for the 512mb after all :)
Which manufacturer should I go for? ASUS, MSI, XFX or some other?
In PbGod's words" I want it to run cool,decently quiet and have a reliable company"
P.S.: I can finally post links.

The extra RAM in this case is only good if you run high AA/AF, or have a monitor with humongous resolutions (higher than 1080p, 1920 x 1200 perhaps?)

In either case, you would need a bigger graphics card or you'd still run into choppy graphics again.

We generally believe that extra RAM in such low end cards is more of a marketing thing than being useful. (low end being everything that's not high-end lol)

If you're reading this and thinking about the GTX460, it doesn't apply. The extra RAM in the GTX460 actually increases the data rate in that card, whereas it doesn't in most other lower-end cards.

Yes the GTX460 can process the higher resolutions that the extra memory adds.
Any brand is fine really, whatever is cheaper.
However, if they were all the same price, I would buy in order of
Saphire/XFX (being the best)
HIS/Powercolor/MSI/Gigabyte/Asus

A small comparison http://www.anandtech.com/show/2616/7
MSI HD 4670(512mb) http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodvgaspec&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1615
MSI HD 4670(1gb) http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodvgaspec&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=137&cat3_no=&prod_no=1715
The specs say it all.
So 'Whaz da best vid card, dude?' :p https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7155.html
Nah, just kidding. I just had to say that. It sounded hilarious :p
@CMH: My monitor's max resolution is 1440 x 900. There is a vertical pink line visible on the monitor which is annoying(used to go away after I nudged the wires a bit), guess I'll be getting a new monitor as well around New Year.

depending on the size of your next monitor, if you plan to get a 22/23/24 inch monitor id go with the 1gb version of the hd 4670 if your looking at 20 inches or less go for the 512mb version.

I disagree completely with Alster37. The 1GB version of the HD4670 wouldn't make any difference.

Gluck on that monitor. Seems like some loose wire somewhere. I'd open it up before chucking it in the bin...

Hi Fellows!
It seems the retailers don't seem to have the 512mb variant. Should I order the 4670(512mb) online or go ahead by purchasing the 1gb variant?

Hi Fellows!
It seems the retailers don't seem to have the 512mb variant. Should I order the 4670(512mb) online or go ahead by purchasing the 1gb variant?

yes, get the 512MB version as CHM stated, 1Gb of memory on a low end card such as the 4670 will have absolutism no positive effect on performance. in other words...if you can fond the 512mb version...buy it. If you can find the 1Gb version....buy the 512 version. :)

Back