Need to know if problem is with video card or elsewhere

cableman

I have a Dell Precision T5400 desktop computer running windows 7 with a 128gb solid state drive for windows for fast boot up and a second sata II 500gb drive for pics, files, downloads, etc. This computer has dual quad core processors and 32GB of ram. When I first got the computer I had a 22" monitor but wanted to upgrade my video card since this computer is dependent upon a dedicated video card so I bought a Radeon R7 370 series with 2GB GDDR5 and of course it fits the PCI Express slot to install. It is also powered by a 6 pin connector which I had from the 1000 watt power supply. I later upgraded to a what the man said was a 60" but I measure 42" from top left to bottom right on the screen. It is actually more a television than a monitor but has all the connections to be used as a monitor. The card had a 2 year warranty and of course the third year the video card died on a restart. I was in a bind and only 95% sure it was the video card and I couldn't afford another $300 card at the time anyway so I got a Radeon R5 220 2GB DDR3 card which is non powered and fanless. After installing the new card I couldn't get the HDMI connection to provide a picture and ended up using the old 22" monitor which was fine other than needing to fine tune the resolution and get the whole picture on the screen, finally after working on it for a few hours after installing all the new drivers from the included disc and even updating also from the manufacturer's website I still couldn't get a picture on my larger monitor. I would start to get one but before I could even begin to work on it the picture just always faded away. Finally I went to an old VGA cable I had laying on the shelf and now have picture but not really satisfied. Do I need a powered card for these larger monitors or some kind of booster or is it most likely the monitor is the problem since it seems to be an older model I bought used but worked perfect with the old card and HDMI. Need advice on how to solve my problem. If anyone who works with video cards recognizes this problem please advise me. Thank you.

Last edited:
Unless the video card specs specifys you will need pci-e 6 pin connector and adequate power to get it working.
I wouldn't worry much about it, now let me ask you some questions ?

*When you removed your R7 370 gpu, did you remove the current catalyst suite at the time ?
*When you installed R5 220 did you install the drivers over the old ones or not ?

Whenever you remove hardware needing drivers, go ahead and remove them from add/remove programs using windows control panel
That way when you install new hardware with new drivers there will be no old driver/suite debris causing a problem.
Look on google and show me which R5 220 make and model you have, same thing with your 60 inch tv and 22 in monitor.
I am asking for all of this to find out where the problem might be at, but to be perfectly honest it sounds like something is wrong with R5.

I used the control panel to remove all the old drivers and any controls that could have affected the new card install, then I replaced the video card and tried to update the drivers only to get the problems I explained in the above post. I think it is the monior (Actually a television used for a monitor since it had the HDMI and VGA plugs. I will look into this further and post you the information you have requested. Thank you.

Back