Need advice: Upgrade or add RAM

mv670

Alright. I mainly used this computer for my work. Invoices. It is running windows XP and it is very slow. So, my question is, here are the specs. Should I just buy more ram in order to boost the speed or am I better off upgrading.. I don't mind gaming(medium settings) but I am not sure if a pc for gaming and work would go together well..

Operation System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P4P800-E
Memory: 1gb DDR Ram.
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5700LE

This is not a prebuilt pc. The previous owner built it. I am not sure about the PSU. Might have to open it up to see. The tower is pretty big. What do you guys think?

If this system is doing everything you need then I wouldn't bother upgrading except getting another gig of RAM. Otherwise it is not worth pouring money into because it has to be at least dating from 2007 and possibly older. Other than old games it won't run the newest.

As for the slowness it can be due to several reasons:

1. The hard drive is filled or is more than 66% filled to capacity. If so, delete or transfer information onto an external hard drive or to CD/DVD.

2. The hard drive needs to be defraged. If you find that you needed to do suggestion #1 then defrag after you transfer or delete information.

3. If you've installed newer software the hardware may not meet its demands.

4. Certain security software can make a system run slow because of resource demands. What security software do you have installed running in real time protection?

5. Infections can cause slowness. Run your security scans.

* * I believe your next move should be saving up for a new system. We can help you with this; if you go this route we need to know a) budget and b) what you want the system to do.

I am using avast antivirus. My next system would be for your everyday applications, websurfing, youtube gaming, say one that would run battlefield 3... Budget would be about 500 dollars.

Avast is good. Again, for your old system another gig of RAM and try those different steps I gave you concerning the hard drive.

As for a gaming rig you'll need more than $500 because you are essentially going to have to purchase just about everything including the Operating System.

Will add another gig of RAM. How about a 600 dollar or 700 dollar budget.

As for the steps.

1. out of 500gb hd, the pc is only using 30gigs.
2. Will do this one.
3.Not sure about new software.
4 and 5. Have avast, will run scans every other day.

Thank you.

Back