Need desperate help w/ Dell laptop/keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I want 2 say that I'm sending this via PS3 so it may take a bit. I have a really old Dell Inspirion 8000 .... It has always worked ok but been slugish. I have XP on it & zone alarm. I just need it to write articles and research in google, the only thing I really need on it is Microsoft Word. It probably has viruses but not sure that's the prob. What's going on is that when Windows finally loads due to being slugish, I can use the mouse but not keyboard. If I pull up the internet & try to type SOMETIMES I can get it to type a letter if I push the key a million times but usually the keys pop things up like hot keys except it is every letter on the keyboard. Example E brings up edit H brings up help and so on. Computer info says keyboard is functioning properly .. Tried to go to restore point but there was only 1 & it wouldn't work. I know very little about this stuff & my husband couldn't figure out anything. I need to fix ASAP because my current job depends on me being able 2 work at all times. Help?!

First, if there are infections that is the first thing you need to deal with because no matter what else you do it will fail until the infections are gone.
Second, how full is your harddrive?

Third, has the harddrive been defraggmented?

Fourth, there is the possibility the keyboard died.

* Go to our Virus & Malware removal forums and read and follow the Updated 8 Step sticky. Then when you have followed all the steps post on that forum the required logs.

* it may be time for a new laptop. How old is it?

We got the laptop from a friend years ago. I'd say it's at least 10 yrs old. I know it has had viruses for several years because we couldn't get rid of all of them no matter what we did, but despite that and age it has been a strong computer. The memory is barely full, there's alot of space left. Defrag has been awhile. If memory serves correct it wouldn't get all the way through defrag and couldn't finish. Problem is, because of the issues I can't fully go on the internet to do anything. I can make it 2 the home page but any links it tries 2 open as a shortcut on desktop and I also can't type. I think I can try hooking up a different keyboard externally 2 see if that helps but I don't really know what I'm doing or can do. Will try defrag for now.

That is an old system. The specs I looked at online dated to 2002. You could be looking at harddrive issues as well; possibly system board issues. The thing is eventually a system begins to unravel; hardware begins to not funtion. You have several issues already.

The infections are a great concern here because speaking from personal experience I had an infection so bad it damaged a sector of my harddrive and that was never recoverable. I am not saying this is your exact issue. You could have someone with tech knowledge who could slave your harddrive into their system and run diagnostics.

The best advice is a new laptop. Right now there are some tremendous Memorial Day sales. It doesn't sound like you need a high end system by what you need it to do.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have a budget to work with?

I've got about $300 coming 2 me provided I can meet my deadline which the laptop was going to play a part in making that happen. I only have half that money 4 right now until I finish my work. I know acers are like 300 and I also know I can rent an Acer for $28 a week. I just think I"m out of luck on this unless I can barter for a used one on craigslist. I basically just need 2 get through a few weeks until I make enough 2 buy a new cheap one.

Understand the dilemma; I've been there. Surely there is someone you can borrow from until you finish. Keep saving and when you are ready to purchase post here and you'll get some excellent advice.

Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back