Need help buying a new PC

Xclusiveitalian

I want to buy a new computer, something powerful, however I don't want to spend more than 1,000.

I would prefer.
i7 with atleast 3.5ghz
8GB ram
Nvidia graphics card 700 series

Any help is appreciated.

Let estimate for a minute:
  • i7 - 300
  • 8GB RAM - 75
  • nVidia 760 - 250
That is over $600 for just those 3 components. And that is assuming you don't need more than a GTX 760. Do you already have other components, that can be eliminated from the build? The case, PSU, and motherboard will take another $200. Then we have the question whether there will be an SSD, HDD, or a combination of both in the build.

I have no other components to use actually. I was gunning for a lower end 700 series card. Still better than my current 550 ti, but that computer is going to my brother so I cant use its parts.

So you would be fine with a 750 and possibly a 760 if funds permit?

I get the feeling this is not going to be strictly a gaming machine. You have professional applications that will take advantage of an i7 over an i5?

I'd probably go for a 2TB(at least 1TB) HDD and get a SSD later on. That way the initial cost doesn't include the expense of a SSD. Actually that is the way I built this machine.

I use my computer primarily for gaming, and your everyday internet tasks, with some graphic design thrown in the mix. I just need a good gaming PC really. I could skip out on the SSD, and I only need about 1TB usually I'm pretty good managing space.

Need more details.

How about we go for an i5 ($200), mobo ($100), 8GB RAM ($75), case ($50), OS ($100), 2TB Black ($100).

Mouse? Keyboard? Monitor? Speakers?

Leaves $400 to spend on GPU.

Wouldn't an i7 handle games better? A-lot of games I play are very cpu intensive(or so im told)

I have a mouse, and a monitor. I'm gonna get Logitech speakers sperately...nothing fancy. Keyboard too ill pick up somewhere.

I5 is quad core without hyperthreading. i7 has hyperthreading so it has 8 logical cores. Games use four cores at most, usually. An i5 is plenty for gaming, unless you're spending $1000+ on graphics cards.

Wouldn't an i7 handle games better? A-lot of games I play are very cpu intensive(or so im told)

I have a mouse, and a monitor. I'm gonna get Logitech speakers sperately...nothing fancy. Keyboard too ill pick up somewhere.
If you'd read any of the articles on this website or any other tech sites you'd see that CPUs have a diminishing return after i5 (especially overclocked). As in literally there are few reasons to get an i7 unless you can game with multiple cards which needs it. If anything, there are some games out there have performance loss when hyperthreading is enabled...

I want to buy a new computer, something powerful, however I don't want to spend more than 1,000.

I would prefer.
i7 with atleast 3.5ghz
8GB ram
Nvidia graphics card 700 series

Any help is appreciated.
Well thought id throw in my idea for a machine, since you in U.S you can use newegg so ill use that for reference. Normally as others stated the i5 is the best gaming processor in terms of value, performance, and overclocking. i7's are not really better and even in many cases you can get away with an i3 performing the same (Clock to clock) unless the game is heavily threaded for quad cores.

Try a few suggestions on for size (im assuming based on what you said 1k for just PC itself):

NZXT Phantom (Case is subjective to what you want, so this can be considered filler)
Rosewill Capstone 750watt Gold (A little overkill, but a great deal!)
Combo: i5 4690k and MSI gaming 5 Motherboard (save 35 bucks)
Hyper212 CPU Cooler (Ive seen these push the new I5's to their limits, best value)
Gskill Ripjaws X 8gb DDR3 1866
WD 1tb 7200RPM Blue Drive (nice drive for the money)

Now heres the interesting part, in terms of cards if you can snag this deal you can do the following:

EVGA SuperClocked ACX cooler GTX 760 (Refurbished, but you save a lot and it still has the full warranty from EVGA so its a good deal)
Sandisk Ultra 128gb SSD

That would come to 998 bucks.

The alternate if you do not trust a refurbished card is just a normal GTX 760 like this
About the same in the end in terms of price.

Either of those will last you quite awhile and be a great machine. Depending on how you change up a few things the budget can reflect alternate GPU's if you end up going down a few notches on other components like the case and PSU.

Im 50/50 to either build or buy a pc honestly, tho I'm more leaning towards building one considering I can cut corners in certain places to save money(like the case, etc)

I was browsing newegg at pre-built ones tho and would like to get your thoughts on them;

1)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229563
2)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227578

N82E16883227578
  • Intel Core i5 4460 (3.2GHz)
  • 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit >>>buyer preference
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB >>>better video card
in my opinion, better deal.

N82E16883229563
  • Intel Core i7 4790 (3.6GHz)
  • 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD
  • Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1GB

new alternate source: ava direct:

Im 50/50 to either build or buy a pc honestly, tho I'm more leaning towards building one considering I can cut corners in certain places to save money(like the case, etc)

I was browsing newegg at pre-built ones tho and would like to get your thoughts on them;

1)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229563
2)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227578
My opinion is to build one if you can because the pre-builts cut corners at times and charge a premium. I have run into many pre-built from newegg and bestbuy that have some odd choices of components to go with the rest of the system and do not end up working very well. A friend bought a cheap gaming desktop with an FX 4300 processor in it and ended up with bad memory and eventually a bad motherboard just from trying to use it for gaming with a 560ti he bought (It came with something really low).

My advice is to build your own as even those machine seem a bit much for whats inside.

How does this system sound: (Built on a website, still considering building one but this is just window shopping)

Comments, thoughts, concerns?
  • BLUETOOTH: None
  • CABLE: None
  • CAS: AZZA Fusion 3000 Full-Tower Gaming Case w/ 1x 140mm & 2x 120mm fans, front USB 3.0, HDD Easy Swap, & 360MM liquid cooling ready
  • CASUPGRADE: None
  • CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive (Black Color) [FREE Blu-Ray Combo Drive with all 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 or i5 processors purchase]
  • CD2: None
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified) [+40]
  • CS_FAN: Default case fans
  • DOCKINGSTATION: None
  • ENGRAVING: None
  • ENGRAVING_MSG:
  • FA_HDD: None
  • FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
  • HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: None
  • HEADSET: ZALMAN ZM-HPS200 GAMING HEADSET
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Cooler Master Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Combo
  • MB_SRT: None
  • MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2)
  • MONITOR: None (Already have)
  • MOPAD: None
  • MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE Z97X-SLI ATX w/ Intel GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI, 1 x M.2, 1 x SATA Express, or 6x SATA 6Gb/s (Extreme OC Certified)
  • MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • NFC: None
  • OS: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY (Already have windows 7)
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts - Corsair CX500 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply [+16]
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • SPEAKERS: None (Already Have)
  • TEMP: None
  • TUNING: None
  • TVRC: None
  • USBFLASH: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBX: None
  • VIDEO: EVGA FTW Edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [-5] (Single Card)
  • WNC: None
  • _PRICE: (+920) = 1k flat after ship/handling

Last edited:
I winded up ordering a pc from cyberpower, and 2 days later winded up cancelling it after hearing so many horror stories about DOA, and broken hardware from spotty construction. I just can't trust them so ill do it myself. I have decided to take my current PC and buy a new motherboard, case, PSU, Graphics card, and cpu, and maybe a liquid cooler like the one I mentioned above.

Any recommendations for cases and a motherboard?

I know im getting a 750ti 2gb, and a corsair 500W, cpu ill look into. Everything else, harddrive, cd drive, you name it is coming from my other PC.

I winded up ordering a pc from cyberpower, and 2 days later winded up cancelling it after hearing so many horror stories about DOA, and broken hardware from spotty construction. I just can't trust them so ill do it myself. I have decided to take my current PC and buy a new motherboard, case, PSU, Graphics card, and cpu, and maybe a liquid cooler like the one I mentioned above.

Any recommendations for cases and a motherboard?

I know im getting a 750ti 2gb, and a corsair 500W, cpu ill look into. Everything else, harddrive, cd drive, you name it is coming from my other PC.
Interesting, well in all honesty I have never known anyone personally with issues on the machines coming bad from cyberpower except in the cases of the cheap pre-builts sent to Best buy and listed on newegg. Normally is you custom one up and pick good parts they tended to be fine as far as I heard/saw.

If your looking to build a rig and you have still 1k to spend yet your taking parts from your previous build you have alot of leniency in buying components. I will make my suggestions taking that into account and taking the idea of what you already have/are buying and subtract what is necessary:

i5 4690k
MSI Z97-Gaming 7
Gskill Sniper 8gb 2x4gb 1866

With the Cooler it comes doen to if you have a case or need one, depending if you use your old case (Or can) you may not have good support for certain coolers. With that in mind, ill assume you do not have a case since it was not mentioned:

NZXT Phantom Case (Comes out as more of a personal preference, so I would just pick the one in your price you like and if your worried about features or things fitting just ask away)
H100i (on sale and has a coupon code, cannot beat 89.99)

At that point your total would be 900 (This is including a GTX 750ti as well) which gives you 100 bucks of play room. Of course it also depends if you already have a copy of windows laying around to use so if you don't this would be right at 1k. If you already have windows, you can either do one of the following:

1: Grab an SSD like this
2: Get yourself a higher video card like this or this
3: Grab the i7 4790K

This is just a couple of suggestions of course to help you get by based on what I understood your needs and what you have already.

Thanks for the post it was really helpful, and I definitely have the extra money to spend now.

I def want a new case as I currently have an HP elite and I cant stand this case. Everything is crammed in.

I was thinking of getting this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133254
Well with cases it can be more of what you think looks best to you. That being said my friend has the previous version of this case (This version to be exact) and I will say to me that case is very disappointing. Its got alot of plastic clips and the spacing for fans is a bit odd where mounting an h100i took some special treatment (A slight mod). I do not know about that one specifically but im just giving you my opinion just in case.

I do not know what you like or your thoughts so I thought I would just throw up a couple cool cases I have used/seen/etc in case you want a second opinion, but the case choice will come down to what you want:

Gigabyte GZ-G3

Bitfenix Shinobi

Corsair Carbide Series Spec-03

There are tons of cases so if I were to post all I could think of I would probably need a couple pages. In the end its up to your eyes to decide which case you want, I just wanted to let you know what I thought of those thermaltake cases just because I did not feel they were up to par.

I definitely appreciate it, I never bought a case so I don't have any experience buying one. I wanted something that looked cool, and was spacious. My current computer is so jammed packed it gets hot cause there is nowhere for the hot air to go..damn HPs. That being said that Corsair Carbide sounds and looks awesome. I think I might get that exact one although I will admit im more of a blue neon guy over red but that doesn't really matter lol Ill probably browse a couple and see what I can find aswell.

I definitely appreciate it, I never bought a case so I don't have any experience buying one. I wanted something that looked cool, and was spacious. My current computer is so jammed packed it gets hot cause there is nowhere for the hot air to go..damn HPs. That being said that Corsair Carbide sounds and looks awesome. I think I might get that exact one although I will admit im more of a blue neon guy over red but that doesn't really matter lol Ill probably browse a couple and see what I can find aswell.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=Corsair_Carbide-_-11-139-038-_-Product
Blue Neon Fan Version

Back