Need help chossing a PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help chosing a PSU

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my computer, and I'm unsure what PSU to get. I'm thinking 650-750W (with modular cables), but don't know which brand to go. The three I'm considering are Thermaltake, Zalman and Corsair.

Specifically, these PSUs:

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Zalman zm750W
Corsair TX 650/750

Does anyone know which is best?

For those wondering, PC specs are:

CPU: Intel Quad-Core Q9450
Mobo: MSI X48C Platinum
RAM: 4GB (I'll be running a 64-bit OS and programs like Photoshop)
HDD: 2x 80GB SATA (in a RAID0), 1x 250GS SATA
2x DVD burners
Graphics=: Currently XFX Geforce 6800GS, soon to be MSI Geforce 9800GTX (Overclocked)

I have a Thermaltake TR2 430W at the moment which I'll be using until I get a new PSU (which should be less than a week), which I've been told will be ok, so long as I don't max out the PC or have it like that too long (basically all I'll be doing until I get the new PSU will be installing the OS and basically setting up the computer - I really don't want to burn it out).

So if anyone can recommend something, it would be much appreciated.

I agree, they are probably all good choices.

Of the choices you listed, my experience is with the Corsair 750 Watt. This one is probably overkill for my system, but the price was right, and better to much power than not enough. I looked at a lot of reviews on multiple 12v rails vs. single rail high amperage. Right or wrong, I chose this one because of the high, 60 amps, on the single rail. So far, I'm very happy with it, it's very quiet, and no problems. Not modular though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Another comment, I paid for three day shipping from Newegg, and received it the next morning, can't beat that.

Thanks for the comments :)

Problem with newegg is that I live in Australia, so they don't ship to me.

I really do want the modular cables, though - I hate clutter in my PC (I have a windowed case)... So I guess the Corsair is out.

Anyone had any experience/heard anything about Zalman PSUs? I've heard their cooling systems are better than Thermaltake, but nothing about the PSUs...

I use Zalman, and consider them superior. The Corsair is also superb. But I would buy on total cost of price and shipping. None of are likely to fail, but the Thermaltake is more likely to go than the others..

Has anyone heard anything about Super Flower PSUs? I was looking at the local stores that sell parts, and they had a Super Flower Aurora (?) 750W PSU with modular cables (that had an LED which would let you know that the cable was plugged in). This PSU is about AU$40 cheaper than those I could find online, and has the added bonus of being in town so I wouldn't have to wait for it.

Only problem is, I can't find any recent reviews on Super Flower PSUs, let alone anything on this specific one.

Would it be a safe buy, or should I spend the extra and get the Zalman?

Why would you want one of those, when there are such incredible numbers of truly superb power supplies that have been well tested, and reviewed. How many times have your current power supplies ever become unplugged?
Who makes it? Where? Is it sold in a lot of countries where the units have to go through a ruggedized testing process, such as United Laboratores, before they can be sold.?
The UL number on the power supplies sold in the US, are the best protection we have in the US on just about any power adapter. Since you Aussies are more demanding than we are, I am sure you have something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back