Need help, computer restarting after I plug it to modem

asking79

My Mom's computer is a e-machine running Windows XP. Her son in law was on it and after he got off it won't work. It just keeps restarting over and over... So I went to her house and brought to mine. I found malware called "Backdoor.Frauder" on it running Malwarebytes or Advanced Systemcare Pro and removed it. I then ran CA Anti-Virus which is what she has and it found nothing else. it is working just fine while I ran these programs, but when I plug it into my modem it starts the restarting process over and over. Does anyone have any idea what this could be, and any suggestions on fixing it? Like I said it works great until it's plugged to any modem.
Thanks in advance...

She has a standard Time Warner Cable modem with I think a netgear router maybe linksys...
My modem is brand new and it's a 2Wire 2701HG-B. The computer works great until plugged into any modem...

ok, you mention a modem and a router (one of netgear, linksys) but the failure
occurs when connecting to the modem - - HOW; USB or via the rj45 ethernet cable?

did you try connecting to the router instead? (this would be easier anyway)

If the failure is on a USB connection to the modem, then it is likely the USB driver - - uninstall and reinstall it.

I have connected it to my 2Wire modem/router with the ethernet cable only. How can I update the drivers with no internet connection? Can I do it on my computer with a memory stick like I have the other programs I've ran?

believe it or not, you don't need the internet.

Find the devicemgr, go to the Network Adapters, find your Local Lan adapter
and delete the driver. When you reboot, Windows will go into Auto Discovery and reinstall a fresh copy.

Now then, What Local Lan Adapter? (start->run->cmd) and enter ipconfig /all
the line that starts with Description . . . will show you what to look for in the device manager

other techniques to try are:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset​

Now it is saying there is no ip address and the RPC server is unavailable. Im doing netsh winsock reset right now...

Ok, now I'm getting: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

You got bigger issues than just Networking - - this is likely residual from the
virus "Backdoor.Frauder"

I've notified our expert to review this topic

Create new topic in malware removal forum and I'll take it from there.
PM me when you're done.

Back