Need Help Creating a Remote Access Media Library

My overall goal here is to be able to create a server from the resources I already have. I have an old computer that I am willing to attempt to turn into a server (i5-2100, 2 ddr3 4gb ram, 1tb hard drive, windows 10 home). I have a lot of experience with computers but have never gotten into the field of remote access or networking. I want to be able to view the pictures and videos on that hard drive from anywhere on my phone (iPhone XS). I'm willing to put in the work and do everything by hand, and ideally, I don't want another subscription for this. I only have around 400gb of pictures and videos that I want to be able to access and don't want to pay for a service such as google photos or iCloud. I really don't have any idea where to start. Any help, suggestions, or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

There are a few ways to accomplish this but they require some networking knowledge. One way is to set up some type of web file server with ports forwarded through your router. A more secure way is to do something similar but get a router with a VPN function so that the files are secure during transfer and only shared on the VPN network rather than being shared to the public. I have done something like this with a windows box and my mikrotik router at home. I used HFS to set it up and use L2TP/IPsec VPN on the router to connect to the home PC from anywhere remotely. http://rejetto.com/hfs/

Back