Need Help Please w/ BCCode error

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcramer53

I've been having some troubles with, I think, my memory. I do graphic work using CS3 and I know that I need to upgrade my computer. I was working on some majorly huge photoshop files yesterday and my computer was running slow (due to upgrade needs). While an image was applying a filter, I stupidly decided to check my email, which then caused my computer to freeze. I re-booted and was getting Outlook errors, "A data file did not close properly the last time it was used & is being checked for problems..".

This morning when I booted up, I got the following error message:

BC Code: a BCP1:FFFF012C BCP2:00000002 BCP3:00000001 BCP4:804F4012 OSVer:5.1.2600 SP3 0 PRODUCT: 256 1

C:\Doc...~\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb002.dir00\Mini012709-01.dmp
C:\Doc...~\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb002.dir00\sxsdata.xml

I'm afraid to shut down and re-boot in case my computer crashes, so I'm frantically trying to copy files to my external hard drive. Can anyone tell me what this error code means, please?

By the way, Outlook finally came back that it finished checking the data files.

Thanks,
Sue

We need more information in order to help you.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need. Attach to your next post. Notice the Attachment Button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually. :)

Not there in C:\. Did the search, nothing came back either. Is this file a part of Windows OS? A mandatory system file? Now I'm getting really scared.

Not mandatory per se because you aren't the first one to report a lack of a minidump folder. Perhaps CCT has another solution.

If you do think it is your memory try the following standard diagnostic step:

Run Memtest on your RAM

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

* Let us know of the results. This test is completely safe to run overnight. If you test beyond 7 Passes that is quite fine to do, even recommended in some cases.

If you are running no page file on C: (some people have a page file elsewhere) you won't get the dump.

Anyway, do a search for Mini012709-01.dmp

I only looked at your first Zip file because there were 10 minidumps total! ;)

Five of your minidumps were 0x000000FE: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

This usually indicates a USB driver problem. Four cited Unknown Module or Unknown Image as the cause with Analysis Inconclusive. However, the last FE minidump cited the driver sndhv71.sys and this is a PC camera driver.

This would make sense if you use your USB to download pictures from your camera. It is a good bet you have a USB issue.

Another minidump was 0xA and these are strong indications of hardware issues but sometimes a driver issue. It cited the IdeChn.sys driver which is an Intel Application Accelarator. What I have found is that to uninstall it would clear up the problem, but I can't say if this is the correct course of action.

Hmmmm.. I'm only using my USB ports for an external hard drive (which has not been powered up today), my mouse and keyboard, and maybe a printer (unsure) but the printers haven't been turned on or used today.

So, I guess the USB can give a problem even if it's not being used? Or it's the one that I'm using for the mouse & keyboard.

The Intel Application Accelerator has to do with my cpu, right? I wonder if my computer is dying.

It is an Intel driver that has nothing to do with your cpu.

Okay, I went ahead and looked at the remaining minidumps. Here is the breakdown:

The first seven are error 0xFE with two citing the camera driver. Perhaps it is your mouse/keyboard USB ports. Or it could be a corrupted driver.

Five are 0x8E errors and these are almost always caused by hardware. Four simply stated hardware with no other information. The remaining cited a core Windows driver but they are too general to be of much help.

One error iss 0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

This means that one of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many. It cited a core Windows driver.

Six are error 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems.

Five gave core Windows drivers, but two cited the driver NavEx15.sys and this belongs to Norton (Symantec) Internet Security/Antivirus. Google this driver and you'll see many people have had issues with this driver.

So try some more standard diagnostic steps:

1. After running Memtest scan for infections. In addition to Norton use NOD32's online scanner. You'll need to allow them to load an ActiveX on your system. This is completely safe and a good scanner.

2. Do a full harddrive diagnostic on your harddrive. Your harddrive manufactuer will have a free utility that you can download. Do the tests.

3. Disable Norton and see if that brrings stability. Norton has been known to cause issues. You may want to uninstall to see if that helps. But before doing this do the above first, plus Memtest.

*** Get back to us with your results.

I ran the MemTest all night last night, 12 passes and no errors, "Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit."

The Norton file is crazy because 4 or 5 years ago, I removed/uninstalled it totally and have been using McAfee ever since... obviously parts of Norton didn't want to leave.

I will run the harddrive diagnostics and then scan for viruses again using my installed McAfee. Will it be safe to also use NOD32's online scanner or might there be software conflicts?

An aside here: should I switch back to Norton and get rid of McAfee?

I'll be back with anti-virus results and harddrive diagnostics.

Thanks,
Sue

Personally I wouldn't run either, especially McAfee because it doesn't have the greatest reputation for protection.

Norton is a system hog. That is why many people don't run it. There are much better security softwares though from what I've been reading the Norton 2009 is much improved.

And you are correct, Norton does not fully uninstall even though we uninstall it! It is notorious for leaving remnants of itself behind so much so that Norton had to design a tool to make sure it is fully removed from a system. Many people get conflicts when remnants of an old antivirus are left behind and the'll conflict with the new.

Here is the Rule: One antivirus, one firewall, one antispyware OR One security Suit.

Go to Nortons's website and find the Tool that will remove permanently your old version of Norton. Tell us the results if you've gained stability. Even if it didn't, it still needs to be removed.

Also: Running online scanners is quite fine. You run them from their website.

I just wanted to let you know that for whatever reason, my computer has been running ok now. I haven't had this problem repeat itself. I don't really know why or what fixed it, but, it seems stable now and I wanted to be sure to let you know and to thank you for all of your help!

Sue

Thanks for getting back to us. I was wondering how things were going. Did you try any of the suggestions or did it just right itself? By the way, if you haven't done so I would still use Norton's removal tool to get rid of everything Norton. There is a reason Norton drivers showed up in the minidumps because remnants are still on your system.

These are the things that I have done: I ran Memtest and found no errors, I ran my antivirus software which found no problems, I defragged, I removed Norton remnants but I have not yet done the harddrive diagnostic because I'm not sure where to go for that. I know that I've got a Maxtor.

I also didn't run the online Norton NOD32 (I'm kind of scared of letting anything 'Norton' get into my computer) but I will finish these things because even though things seem stable now, something might still come up. I'll get back to you with these results too.

Oh, I've also been removing unused programs to free up drive space. My drive is only 127gigs and I'm trying to keep it less than 1/2 occupied - current used space is 56.3 gigs. I've also ordered new memory, 2 sticks of 1gig ram, the most my motherboard will take.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Maxtor was bought by Seagate. You can use their Sea Tools without problem. Run the Long DST.

NOD32 has nothing to do with Norton. It is a totally different antivirus and other than downloading an ActiveX (it is safe) to run their online scan, it won't add anything else.

It appears that once you removed all of Norton you've gained stability which confirms that Norton's left behind remnants can cause serious conflicts.

Seriously consider another option than McAfee when you have time. I think this link will be interesting to you and helpful for future security considerations: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=461785

I found my MaxBlast cd, but realized that I needed to go to Seagate's site to download the hard drive diagnostics, did that, will run the Long DST this afternoon. Right now though, I'll run the NOD32 and then head over to the link you provided regarding antivirus recommendations, you really caught my attention regarding the whole antivirus protection subject.

What do you use for antivirus protection?

I use NOD32 version 2.7 for antivirus (they have their version 3 now, but I am waiting for their version 4 to move from the current Beta form), Online Armor for my firewall, and SUPERantispyware for my malware. All of them are the paid versions. Of course I have a router which is critical. This is called the layer method in that one's security isn't from just one provider.

Kaspersky is an excellent option for the $. It has hourly updates and the detection rate is top notch. You can find it at your local Staples or your Best Buy Avast has both free and professional versions and with what you do I'd consider looking into a subscription one. I run Avast free version on two laptops (it works with my daughter's college laptop that runs Vista) and our second family PC. It does the job and with the PC I also run the free Online Armor and the free version of SUPERantispyware.

Keep in mind free versions will be limited in certain areas.

There are other good ones as well such as Antivir that also both free and paid and a lot of people like it.

Like anything else people will have their favorites but all the above I mentioned are a whole lot easier on the system requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back