Need help with PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, I am new to the site, and am looking for some helpful advice and direction on my first PC build. (actually my second, but that was like 10 years ago!) This forum seems very friendly and informative, and I'm hoping someone can shed a little light. I have done a little bit of research, and have chosen the following so far (please remember I'm a noob at this!):

GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions? I'm also curious what you would recommend for a video card. I enjoy gaming, and the wife does a lot of graphic design. Is there anything else I need? (apart from optical drives)

I also wanted to ask where the best place is in Canada to purchase components locally or online.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Cheers!

how much is your budget?
try the following links:
youtube.com/watch?v=hnj6dZAQpYA&feature=channel
youtube.com/watch?v=3JfDaR3vdQM&feature=channel

you'll find more helpful answers in his videos..

you can get a far better computer for $1500 than the one you posted. as far as a video card goes go with an ati 4870 one of the best bang for your buck video cards i know. If it were me i would get a better case and move up to a quad cpu.

Thanks Klepto. I realize I can do better for the budget, but if I can keep the cost down, it would be better (sign of the times I think). I would just like to know if what I have chosen is decent, and if it will work well together, and then put it together with a good video card. I appreciate all the help so far!

here are some suggestions on the build.

case-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119122
Video card-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150338
Cpu-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115131
just some suggestions everything else looks good to me even the parts you have just you might like the quad a little better just get a good heatsink for it and you should be good. Also get 1066 ram its like the same price but faster and 4GB is nice

Try this build:
Grand Total = $1378.02 or $1495.82, depending upon your video card choice. All prices are in CAD, except where stated, and the grand total does not take into account rebates or shipping. It'll make for a very powerful PC that will be able to easily handle anything you throw at it.

lol i had almost the same build as rage in mind just i had the q9650 and the gtx 285 and a pc power and cooling psu.

The Q9650 and GTX 285 are only marginally faster than the Q9550 and the GTX 280 respectively. The price difference is huge in comparison (in CAD at least) and the extra money does not justify the meager increase in performance.

The Q9650 and GTX 285 are only marginally faster than the Q9550 and the GTX 280 respectively. The price difference is huge in comparison (in CAD at least) and the extra money does not justify the meager increase in performance.
i know i have the q9550 and its a beast i was doing the build in US currency where you can get the q9650 for $333 and the gtx 285 for about the same on some sites. Sorry for the currency thing rage.

Does anyone have an opinion about this new Thermaltake gaming case? It looks like their answer to the Antec 900 And yes, I realize it's only a midtower. It's also only a hundred bucks give or take! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133074
yes i have looked at it since i have the nzxt tempest which is a 900 rip off the v9 is a good all around case i like it. There are alot of reviews on it but i first saw it at tigerdirect and they liked it alot. The thing i like about it the most is the all black inside means no black paint would also look sweet blood red.

That case looks good cap. But I think it may be quite noisy. Still, the airflow is very good and IMO, you can never overcool anything in a PC.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Got it, love it!

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Think the E8400 would do you fine. Could be jealous though, said the E7300 test pilot

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Why wouldn't we go with the same kit, but in PC8500?

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Mercifully, I have no opinion here.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Here I'd trim some of my other expenses and spring for the 150GB smaller WD Velociraptor. Then buy the 640 for storage. I always buy Seagate, but that's a long discussion about probably a bunch of moot points.

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case
Here,Antec 900 I own one so I gotta say that. Well, or maybe the new TT I mentioned earlier. The Antec 1200 is another possibility if you go for a full tower model

Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions? I'm also curious what you would recommend for a video card. I enjoy gaming, and the wife does a lot of graphic design. Is there anything else I need? (apart from optical drives)
Sadly a copy of Windows.

I also wanted to ask where the best place is in Canada to purchase components locally or online.
there is a Newegg Canada is there not?

Many thanks in advance for your help. Cheers!
You're quite welcome

Thanks for all the help you guys, I really appreciate it. Got a few decisions to make. I'll let you know how things turn out. May also need some help once everything arrives. Cheers!

As Rage points out, a quad core CPU is best utilized by certain video rendering, photo editing, and graphics design programs. Gaming isn't really improved. In some cases the quads' performance is lower than the high end C2Ds. Might I suggest investigating the software you are (or are intending) to use, before you commit between quad or dual core. Many programs of the type I mentioned, are intended to be to run on professional work stations, many of which are dual CPU. You can get all the high end Macs in dual processor configurations as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back