Need new laptop for Multimedia/light gaming

I'm going to start classes soon to become a multimedia student and I need to get a laptop to use in class. Basically I will be doing things with animation and video editing, but I also would like to be able to run some games on it.

I don't need anything crazy powerful, just to get the job done and play some lower end graphic games like dota and some MMORPGs around medium settings.

What do you guys recommend I get, and how much should I spend? Right now I don't really feel like spending more than $500 on the laptop because also need to buy a nice camera as well, but that is a different thing.

Let me know what you guys think.

I think you are mistaken. Most laptops with a dedicated card can run dota 2 on medium to high settings currently. I have a 6 year old pc that can run it on high settings, and the cpu/gpu are pretty mediocre in it.

I know basically which laptops I can buy, I was just wondering if any of you knew a good deal on one that I could grab, or something I missed.

Well, for 500 bucks, you are not gonna get a dedicated GPU. Your old PC must have a dedicated GPU. the problem with the Intel HD 4000 graphics is that they do not have onboard memory. That is what holds them back in terms of performance.

There are plenty with dedicated graphics, the problem is that they are all pretty crappy cards.
I'm just trying to find a deal since I have to get a good camera for my class that is prob 600- $700.

There are plenty with dedicated graphics, the problem is that they are all pretty crappy cards.
I'm just trying to find a deal since I have to get a good camera for my class that is prob 600- $700.
That is my point. A GT610 is better than Intel graphics just because of the dedicated memory. I think you should wait for Haswell my friend. The integrated graphics will be on par with a GT640.

Back