Need parts suggestions for my next PC purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuamays

Its time to capitalize on what technology has to offer. I am a huge pc gamer and a world of warcraft fanatic. need a pc with high video performance. Unfortunately i have not being keeping myself up to date with what the world has to offer. Im really intrigued by liquid cooled pcs.

I want the pc everyone dreams of. A relic of beauty with an array of lights and outer-worldly looking components and the michael jordan of pc performance.

Yes, i do have the ability to build/install all hardware/components myself. ive built 2 other pcs from the ground up already.

2K spending limit.

Looking for suggestions to build a "dream machine". thx

yes, id like to go water cooling. mostly i like the way it looks lol. dont really know much about the pros/cons of it.

i checked out the stuff supersmash suggested. must say thats one sexy mobo. looks like the first couple weeks of may the price for the ASUS Rampage II Extreme had spiked down. wish i would hve jumped on it sooner.

I was checking out some the raidmax cooling systems and cases. i love the design of theyre newer scorpio models. id like my pc to have that 2fast 2furious pimped out look.

is room temperature a huge factor with liquid cooling? 80 degree farenheit, for example outside of the tower.

Heres a link to provide a better visual for what im wanting it to look like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBhUOkO0sGY&feature=related

You need a large case if you want to keep everything inside the pc like the radiator, pump etc.

That's a nice lian li case in the video. You'll need cold cathode stuff, uv reactive tubing and some other things to make it that pretty.

80F should yield around 50C on an i7 at full load if you get the right components.

How much are you going to spend on this build?

I will say that most people will suggest not going water cooling, including myself. If its your first WC build you need to be very careful and do plenty of reading. WC is usually for overclocking these days. If you feel you must do it then go for it.

ok, so i sealed the deal and yes i went with water cool and planned on overclocking. im having a difficult time setting everything up though. heres the specs of what i picked up.

Mobo - ASUS Rampage II Gene

Processor - Intel Core i7 - 920

Cooling - Thermaltake Big Water 760is

Case - CM Storm Sniper

Monitor - LG 23" Flatron Wide LCD Monitor

HDD - Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda SATA 32MB Cache 7200

Vid - GeForce GTX285 OC core clock 666MHz (vs.648MHz standard)

PSU - Corsair TX850W

Mem - Patriot Memory 1333 Viper Series DDR3 12GB (6x2GB)

Mouse - Razer Death Adder

Keyboard - Razer Lycosa

;)

Now heres the issue im having thus far. All components are are set. Pc is ready to be powered. Unfortunately this case has no pc speaker, so i cant listen to the beeps upon powering on. Hardware not functioning properly: dvd drives have power, but tray doesnt eject.

The system will power on when i flip the power switch on on the back of the psu. power and reset on front is non operational, yes theyre wired properly. pc can only be powered off by turning off power on back of psu. onboard reset and memok! are working properly. pc wont boot to bios stays at black screen and monitor goes into powersave. All usb ports are working, yet my keyboard doesnt seem to be operational. guess that can be expected if pc isnt going into autoboot like it should upon being powered on for the first time.

Water cooling is fully functional as are all fans and leds.

Video card appears to be fine as far as the eye can see.

What should my next step be to troubleshoot?

Plz suggest another location to post this thread if need be.

Need help quick. Will post very frequently on this thread so keep in touch. Thx

Try using one stick of RAM at a time to eliminate the possibilities of a faulting module; make sure the BIOS settings are factory default.

pc wont boot at all to get into bios. unable to run memtest if i wanted. even if it was ram wouldn't i still be able to boot my pc and get into the bios? and its stated that bios settings are factory default, unfortunately im unable to access bios.

borrowed a pc speaker from another pc in hopes of being able to get an answer from beep codes, but the speaker hast runneth silent. im at a standstill.

Is the 6-pin power connector plugged into the video card? Have you plugged in the motherboard power connectors properly? Have you reseated the video card and DIMMs? Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Have you made sure the motherboard isn't shorting somewhere?

I think rage nailed it with shorting.

Check to make sure there is no extra standoffs.

It happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back