Need some troubleshooting advice (won't POST)

SNGX1275

I ordered a card reader for my system (System #1 in my specs). So I shut down and pulled the power cord from the PSU (after shutting down), then to get any extra juice out of it I pushed the power button. Then I took the side and front panel off and put in the card reader and hooked it up to the mobo. During this, I noticed the system was moderately dusty, so I blew it out with canned air, in place, figured I'd just vacuum the area up later.

Put the front panel back on and hit the power button, everything fires up, but I don't get anything on screen. I also do not get any beeps. The fans all power up and stay on, the hard drive spins up, vid card spins up, everything *seems* normal, I just don't get a POST. It also doesn't sound (or look based on the hdd activity light) like Windows is loading up at any time.

Here is what I've done to try and fix it so far:
  • Removed video card to access CMOS jumper, reset with that. Even pulled the battery and hit the power button (while unplugged from the wall) for good measure.
  • Disconnected all unnecessary hard drives.
  • Disconnected the USB header for the card reader.
  • Unplugged the PSU, flipped the voltage switch on back, then flipped it back to normal.
  • Switched to a spare PSU.
I'm a bit unsure on what else to do. I didn't touch anything else in the system during the addition of a card reader. I'm going to remove the RAM and put it back in just because that is simple enough to do. I really don't want to unmount the CPU and reseat it because I didn't do anything with that, and my heatsink basically requires I remove the entire motherboard to reseat - guess this is where a super expensive case is nicer :(

Edit 1: Removed RAM, Powered up. Got warning beeps. Put 2GB back in. No POST.

Swap the Ram modules around and try again using just one module at a time.

Try to boot the PC with your OS disc in the drive.

Did you earth yourself before touching any of the components?

Swapped the RAM to the other sticks (I'm actually running mixed RAM, I know its not ideal, but its worked for years). With 1 stick of the smaller module RAM it worked. Going to shut down and play with others.

It should not take long to find the faulty stick.

Matched pairs of sticks can improve performance.

I can't get it to boot with either stick of the Crucial Ballistix RAM. So right now I'm running 2 512MB sticks of Corsair Value RAM. Sucks.

Seems really odd to me that both Crucial sticks are dead... Oh well, at least those are supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

Edit: Called up Crucial, they are going to replace. I also went ahead and ordered 2 more so I have 4GB of the same. Turns out I had some old Ballistix that they've had problems with. Mine were 2.2V ones, they've been replaced with 2.0V ones.

Seemed like a really odd failure method. Thanks for recommending I check 1 stick at a time though Mark - Probably would have gotten around to it later, but it might have taken a bit.

Edit 2: They didn't have my Ballistix in stock, so they are replacing with Crucial Ballistix Tracer for the same price.

SNGX1275, I had the same issues with Crucial Ballistix PC3200. 4 sticks of 512 and they all went bad after almost four years at the same time. Their Ballistix PC3200 and PC4000 had tons of issues.

But Crucial was top notch with RMA. Very professional tech support and customer service.

Yep, back in about 1999 or 2000 I had some Crucial RAM go bad on me, and I was extremely impressed with their support/service. So I always look to Crucial first, and unless they are just getting destroyed on price by someone else I order from them. Techspot also used to carry ads for Crucial (not sure if they do anymore), so if I could I'd order through a banner ad here.

I did the live chat with them 15 minutes before they closed, then tried the RMA online. The first question was whether I ordered from them or not, and i wasn't sure, so I got back into their live chat a few minutes before they closed and asked for the phone number. Called that up and was on the phone with them until 7:15 my time, they closed at 7. They dude was very nice and helpful the entire time, I didn't feel like he was trying to rush me out so he could go buy some beer.

That is top notch customer service woefully lacking in too many companies. Crucial gets it. I too often use Crucial.

Back