Need to Clone Installations - OEM licenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnYousef

I've done clone and distribution jobs before - except with VLKs, so it didn't matter if the key was getting duped.

However, I'm about to come into a number of PCs which I'm relatively sure will have OEM licenses. It would be silly to format them one-by-one, especially including the slew of software I'm expected to install. My question is - can I format one, then image it to the rest - then return to manually change the product key? Or is there some equivalent-yet-alternate method?

The Microsoft KB states a method but is also keen to point out it will only work on VLKs - not OEMs or Retail, etc.

Maybe you could install windows and all the software on one, and create an image of it before you activate windows. You will have 30 days to do this, so time is not an issue. Then when you install the image on the others, all you will need to do is type in the activation key.

But wouldn't the serial I plugin during installation copy over, or does that get over-written during activation?

I haven't dealt with activation in a very, very long time - think SP1. I don't exactly recall how it all works... so spoiled by VLKs.

Hm, for windows XP?

I just ran it in a VM, can't proceed without serial. Thats Windows Vista where you can leap the serial :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back