Need to create partitions in new XP install

Cremaster

I have checked the disk mgmt tool but I don't think XP has any way to do this. Do I need to go back for the fourth time and re read the help file that is not very helpful or do I need an app to do this?

Actually suggestions for free apps are solicited. Must be free, must be clown proof.

Not sure why you would want to do that, but if you must try Esaus partion manager.
http://www.partition-tool.com/

UHHH I want to put my swap file on a partition away from windows, I want to put my programs on one partitions, I want to put my temp files on a partition other than windows, and I might wish to install another OS.

Can you think of any reason I would want every program out there, especially windows, reading and writing to the partition that contains the OS?

Not familiar with dual booting, but I believe you need Linux before XP if that is what you want to do.
Basically what you are wanting to do is a waste of time as far as i can see. If you need to fomat OS then you'll have to reinstall programs anyway. With XP you can use Fred langas no format reinstall that will not remove your programs or format your drive and is nearly as good as a fresh install.

don't see the benefit of putting swap on another partition, care to explain?

This looks like the ticket Benny. The one that pjamme suggested looks good to but the partionlogic is a bootable tool. That should do the job for me and keep me from playing with it.

Just to let you know. I haven't used Partition Logic before (i use a paid Partition Magic)...But i know it's a desent free tool.

Not familiar with dual booting, but I believe you need Linux before XP if that is what you want to do.
Basically what you are wanting to do is a waste of time as far as i can see. If you need to fomat OS then you'll have to reinstall programs anyway. With XP you can use Fred langas no format reinstall that will not remove your programs or format your drive and is nearly as good as a fresh install.

don't see the benefit of putting swap on another partition, care to explain?

Well I know that this is not recommended as some say it causes increased seek times. I think they say defragmenting is a waste of time now as well. My thoughts are, I want the OS to be read only as much as possible. With real memory as big as it is the page file is not used that much but I do some video and audio work on "older systems" so I have seen it get huge. I know I may be beating a dead horse but those temp files (yes I know not related to the page file) and all that other junk that is written and read and rewritten to your drive is not good. A drive is a mechanical device, if I had a solid state drive I would not care. The swap partition will be changed to a different drive when I have the machine set up anyway.

I know I am old school but that is how I see it. You know how everyone says format will totally wipe a drive - wrong!

I will post my success or failure about this when the machine is set up.

Also Fred Langas was real good when we were dealing with Win95. The world left him behind a long time ago. He had to start charging for his smoke and mirrors didn't he?

XP's Disk Management should be more than sufficient unless during the XP install you partitioned the disk into 1 large partition and then installed. What I would have done is given XP 20 gigs or so (can get by with much less if you want) and left the entire rest of the disk unpartitioned. Then I would have created the partitions I wanted through Disk Management.

pjamme - Linux doesn't need to be on first, it doesn't care. If you put Linux on first then XP, XP will not let you boot to Linux because it will just read the MBR, which was overwritten when XP was installed. If you put XP on first, linux will put its own bootloader (by default) and allow you to choose XP or linux on boot. So its actually much simpler to install Linux after XP unless you are set on using XP's bootloader rather than Grub or lilo.

XP's Disk Management should be more than sufficient unless during the XP install you partitioned the disk into 1 large partition and then installed. What I would have done is given XP 20 gigs or so (can get by with much less if you want) and left the entire rest of the disk unpartitioned. Then I would have created the partitions I wanted through Disk Management.

Yip this is basically what I have going on. I am using an older machine that I did a fresh install on months ago and set it on the shelf for when I needed it. It would have been easier to partition then but I didn't :( Live and learn and learn again and again!

Back