Neowin: HTC Trophy smartphone review

Neowin

The HTC Trophy has finally made its way to Verizon. The phone, while not new to the market, is the first Windows Phone device for Verizon and gives consumers another choice on America’s largest CDMA network.

If you are looking for a ground breaking device with top end hardware, you may want to look elsewhere as this phone has been out on the market since October. But just because it’s a bit dated, doesn't mean it's a poor choice for a handset.

The device sports a 1 GHz Snapdragon (QSD8250), a 3.8-inch LCD, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR, GPS, FM Radio, a 1300mAh battery, 16 GB, 576 MB RAM, 5.0 megapixels camera, LED flash, and finally hits the ruler at 4.67 x 2.42 x 0.47 inches (118.5 x 61.5 x 11.96mm). Overall, it’s a middle of the road in specs but it also comes in priced at $149.99, in short, the price is spot on for the feature set. Is it a good value proposition smartphone? We like to think it is.

The phone in your hand feels like a solid little machine, unlike some HTC devices, there isn’t the standard flex in the casing when squeezed. While far short of feeling like the iPhone's dense as a brick, firmness, it doesn’t feel like a lower end device…primarily because it wasn’t designed that way. The non-slippery back makes it easy to hold and is less prone to scratches than metal or glass backed phones.

Read the rest of the review.
This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

Hurry up and buy one.

Be the first to own this incredible phone.

Be the first to experience a WINDOW VIRUS on your phone.

Ha! Ha!

Guest said:
Hurry up and buy one.

Ha! Ha!

Windows phone 7 is an amazing operating system. Although, I'm sure, that you've never seen one and know nothing about how a virus or an operating system works. I'm surprised you can type with those big ol' troll hands of yours.

No, I have not seen one in the wild. How many Windows Phone 7's are there now? A couple of dozen. Didn't Microsoft have another phone recently, I think it was called the Kin, probably short for kindle wood. I heard they were awesome from Microsoft fan boys like you. Make sure you buy one for yourself and tell everyone you know to buy too.

I have an extremely large troll keyboard.

Although the hardware is dated WP7 (unlike a certain open source OS that I'll be abandoning soon) has full hardware acceleration and as a result doesn't need dual core and quad core processors to have a smooth interface.

Guest said:
Hurry up and buy one.

Ha! Ha!
You must be a apple lover! The matter of fact they are bigger target for the virus makers, not WP7. Think about it... *if u can*

Not bad at all, I think it looks much better than the HD7 they shipped with WP's launch, and hope it doesn't have the refresh rate lag like its elder brother (sorry can't read the full review today) :p

I really dont get why anyone would want a Windows Mobile phone.

...all I can conclude is that Stephen Elop must be a frecking *****, or out to kill Nokia

I have extensively compared a Nokia with Symbian^3 and the Samsung Omnia 7

The check list for Symbian^3 is filled with ..Yes you can do that, and this is how you do it.
The checklist for Windows Mobile is filled with, Nope ...you cant do that...at all.

Windows Mobile is a Joke compared to almost all mobile operatingsystems out there.
It beats maybe a S30 Nokia phone..and the simple Samsung devices that are ment for the low end market, but thats about it.

No BT possibilites, no modem possibilites, cant sync to Outlook, no USB mode possibilities, no GPS settings, no Maps without internet (so if you are traveling you are screwed...the whole point of a GPS and Maps) No messaging settings, Cant transfer contacts to any other device. Calender is crap, The idea of a theme is white or black (and you can change the colour of the tiles) . Only support for Windows OS on a computer. You are forced to use Zune for everything, and that everything is nothing . No Backup in the phone or connected to a computer. No multitasking, but thats comming, no copy paste .. .no nothing.

It's a whole bunch of nothing.

..oooh and most of the time, its even a bit slow ..

By the way J, my SGS maps doesn't work without internet so whats the difference?

As far as I remember many of the other capabilities weren't present in iOS or Android at the beginning so this argument doesn't hold much value IMO, as in due course of time they will catch competition.

As far as I tell, after the recent updates, WP feels much more responsive and stable than this rubbish Froyo running on my SGS I am stuck with atm. So I ain't buying into this argument either.

Now the fact is, Android's big success and biggest problem lies in it being a freeware, the success part mean many would want to sell smartphones with it, the problem part means these sets will not get updates as they should and security/stability problems will persist. So, if one have to choose between two evils, I'll choose the one which is lesser.

JudaZ said:
I really dont get why anyone would want a Windows Mobile phone.

...all I can conclude is that Stephen Elop must be a frecking *****, or out to kill Nokia

I have extensively compared a Nokia with Symbian^3 and the Samsung Omnia 7

The check list for Symbian^3 is filled with ..Yes you can do that, and this is how you do it.
The checklist for Windows Mobile is filled with, Nope ...you cant do that...at all.

Windows Mobile is a Joke compared to almost all mobile operatingsystems out there.
It beats maybe a S30 Nokia phone..and the simple Samsung devices that are ment for the low end market, but thats about it.

No BT possibilites, no modem possibilites, cant sync to Outlook, no USB mode possibilities, no GPS settings, no Maps without internet (so if you are traveling you are screwed...the whole point of a GPS and Maps) No messaging settings, Cant transfer contacts to any other device. Calender is crap, The idea of a theme is white or black (and you can change the colour of the tiles) . Only support for Windows OS on a computer. You are forced to use Zune for everything, and that everything is nothing . No Backup in the phone or connected to a computer. No multitasking, but thats comming, no copy paste .. .no nothing.

It's a whole bunch of nothing.

..oooh and most of the time, its even a bit slow ..

I'm not going to pick everything you said apart, but most of your information is out dated. Copy and paste was added in the first update and there have been three so far. I have no idea where you are getting that it's slow. Maybe if you look at JUST the hardware then, yes, it's slow on paper. However, with full hardware acceleration everything moves very nicely and the whole thing is quick and responsive.

WP7 shows a lot of potential. MS wants to get a foothold in the smart phone market so they are working very hard to catch up and not F%$ up. They are well aware of how sensitive the situation is and how critically people are looking at them. They have a bad name in most households. iOS and Android took a long time to get bugs sorted out and listen to user feedback, keep in mind WP7 is very new. Hold any criticism you have until the 7.1 update comes out, that will make or break windows phone.

I like the GUI and syncing with zune, but everyone likes something different so I can see how people would want to use their own third party software.

@JudaZ

Your definition for extensive must be off. Most of what you say does not exist. BT streaming, Outlook Sync (Exchange Active Sync or Web App, you can also use the Live ID connector for mail), GPS, Maps (Not sure what the fuss is since it will run off of GPS), Messaging (There are SMS apps if that is what you need), Calendar (works well for me)...all exist and work if you are not angry or completely biased towards Symbian.

Some other features that are included:
Mac client to sync from itunes
Windows Live ("Find me phone", Map, ring, lock or erase your phone remotely)
SkyDrive (Cloud integration with free 25GB from MS)
Live Tiles (Apps that update information on the main screen)
Facebook & Live integration
Zune to manage all your media, podcasts, apps.
Wifi Sync (Just have the phone plugged into USB charger)
MS Office
Xbox Live

The interface is very smooth and has a sleek appearance. I've had more apps crash and phone reboots on a myTough 4G and Incredible then I have had on my Win Mo 6.5 or Win Phone 7 combined. My only fuss so far is no DLNA, tethering, hot spot, or full back-up abilities; though some of this can be done with an unlocked phone and side loading of homebrew. All of your data would be synced to Zune, Live ID, Yahoo, or G-mail anyway.

I personally like the Windows Live integration across my Hotmail, MSN, Xbox Live, Zune, Skydrive, accounts. It keeps things simple.

Back