Neowin: Nokia Lumia 820 review

Neowin

The launch of Windows Phone 8 saw the announcement of a new generation of handsets, consigning a fairly lacklustre set of earlier devices to the past, with the news that those phones would not be upgradable to the newest version of the OS. The range of manufacturers offering the latest Windows Phone 8 handsets remains small; so far, just HTC, Samsung, Huawei and Nokia have launched such devices.

Despite arriving relatively late to the Windows Phone party, Nokia has established itself within the ecosystem by becoming the biggest fish by some margin in Microsoft’s tiny mobile pond. Its earlier handsets were something of a mixed bag, but the new Windows Phone 8 flagship, the Lumia 920, has asserted itself as a worthy contender in the broader smartphone market, helped in no small part by its formidable camera.

With the 920 commanding so much attention, it’s been easy to overlook the other Windows Phone 8 handset that Nokia first announced alongside its range-topper.

The Lumia 820 has plenty to offer, using the same dual-core processor as the 920, numerous features set it apart, from exchangeable colour shells and microSD card support to its vibrant AMOLED screen and removable battery.

The Lumia 820 exists because, in Nokia’s words, “not everyone needs the power of the Lumia 920”. The company also describes the 820 as its “most versatile Lumia” – but has Nokia done enough to make the device compelling in its own right, or will it leave you yearning for bigger and better things?

Read the full article.
This review was brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

I just got a Lumia 620 and I am so impressed that I actually look forward to using my phone again. First time since the relative excitment of the HTC JasJam a very long time ago.

Why pay more? The 620 does it all, and you won't die of poverty afterward (or if you lose/break it).

BTW, it recently survived a 1.5 metre drop onto concrete. I was amazed - not a scratch and still works fine!

I feel it's priced too close to Samsung's SIII & Sony's Experia T for serious consideration. If it were quite a bit cheaper then it would be ideal.

Got this phone a few weeks ago and it's awesome ;) I often find myself playing with it even when I don't really need to use it.

Back