Neowin: Rise of the machine: Microsoft's Azure platform will change the world

Neowin

neowin rise microsoft azure

How many times have you tried to figure out what you are having for dinner only to become disgruntled and order a pizza? It happens to all of us from time to time, but that's often because we run out of time to prepare for dinner or, frankly, we forget what's in the fridge.

But what if we didn't have to remember what's in the fridge or even what type of meal to cook. What if our food could tell us what to make? 

We often hear about Azure and how it is Microsoft's new show pony but what is it? In the simplest terms, it's a massive computer network that is made up of many smaller computers that are all linked together and have more storage than you can possibly imagine.

The cool thing here is that getting access to this massive system is quite easy and cheap, and you can use it on-demand too. The power of the Azure platform is immense and is magnitudes more powerful than the device you are using to read this post. Microsoft also makes it clear that they have the largest cloud infrastructure in the world, topping both Google and Amazon.

Read the rest of the artice.

Permalink to story.

"What if our food could tell us what to make?"

The broccoli in my fridge just pointed over to the leftovers as it told me what to make this evening.

All this accumulated cloud data broken down, categorized then sold piecemeal to the highest bidders. And don't forget Microsoft is the NSA's *****!, so they wont have to pay for what they want.

I know what's in the fridge and I think it's better to use my brain than sub-contract thinking to a bit of software. Maybe, if they come up with a version of Glass that shows recipes when you look at the food in the fridge, maybe I'll be interested.

This looks, sounds and smells like an AD paid by Microsoft, with lies all over it.

At the top of the lies is that Azure is insanely expensive, the most expensive cloud of all. Second, it is far behind Amazon, who is the leader of the field.

Largest..? Please,... Largest liar it may be.

Wow this is the coolest thing ever! And just to be clear on disclosure I am being paid by Microsoft to say this.

@VitalyT
2013 listing of top cloud service providers
http://talkincloud.com/talkin039-cl...0-cloud-services-providers-list-2013-ranked-0

By the way according to Gartner MS is now 2nd in IaaS market (AWS is leading the market by a margin) and offers matching prices, so I wouldn't bet against MS competing well against Amazon in the longer run though mainly because of its historically strong presence in enterprise. Add their salesforce partnership in the equation and things start to look bit more interesting.

Back