Neowin: Tesoro Excalibur, an affordable mechanical keyboard

Neowin

Hard-core gamers are a very particular breed that wants the best when playing a game. The lowest input lag on monitors, reducing the latency of the mouse, feeling the tactile response from a high quality keyboard.

Unfortunately, your budget may not allow spending $170 on a high quality mechanical keyboard, but maybe $90 is more in line with your bankroll. It's to that end that relative newcomer Tesoro is trying to win gamers over with their line of gaming devices that range from keyboards to mice to headphones. Today, I'll examine the Tesoro Excalibur, and help shed some light on whether it's worth your money if you're in the market for a mechanical keyboard.

I want to preface the review by saying that I love mechanical keyboards. In fact, I have yet to find a keyboard that I like more than the old IBM Model M. To this day, it's still my go-to keyboard as the build quality, the clicking feedback of the keys, and the slope of the keyboard make for a near-perfect input device.

Read the complete review.

Permalink to story.

I'm always interested in affordable mechanical keyboards, they are great.

I'd still go with the CM Storm Ultimate though, here in Spain it's 5 Euros cheaper and it has "real" Cherry MX switches, this Kailh thing looks like some kind of Chinese knockoff.

I've had a CM Storm QuickFire Pro for 1.5 years (which was even cheaper due to having less LEDs) but it seems it's not available anymore. It works like new, the key symbols don't even fade at all.

Last edited:
The old IBM keyboards were okay they did fail and wear out too. For online gaming, Windows Media Center and general usage. I am using Logitech Wave K350 along with M710 or as a backup G100 mouse. I can't see spending so much for fancy keyboard just because it mechanical and has night blow keys (where your not suppose to even look at the keyboard when typing fast). Slap on for game usage the price jumps up..

This is still more expensive than the Quickfire Rapid, which is a pretty solid mechanical keyboard. I use one at work with MX Blue keys and it's awesome. If they're trying to win customers with price, they certainly failed.

I'm always interested in affordable mechanical keyboards, they are great.

I'd still go with the CM Storm Ultimate though, here in Spain it's 5 Euros cheaper and it has "real" Cherry MX switches, this Kailh thing looks like some kind of Chinese knockoff.

I've had a CM Storm QuickFire Pro for 1.5 years (which was even cheaper due to having less LEDs) but it seems it's not available anymore. It works like new, the key symbols don't even fade at all.

The Kailh switches are cheap chinese knock offs. I've never personally owned one, though I own a good 7 or so mechanical keyboards (including Topre, which is by far the best switch out there) and everyone who owns them has negative things to say about them.

Like I said I don't own one but a lot of people on geekhack have tried them (granted most of them are bigger snoots than I am) and I have never heard anything good said about them.

Back