Neowin Trivia Tuesday: The many waves of Wi-Fi

Neowin

Millions of people use Wi-Fi every day to connect wirelessly to the Internet through their home or work routers; I know I do, not only for some of my PCs, but also for my smartphone and other portable devices. It’s a critical and integral part of our connected lives, but just how much do you know about Wi-Fi?

The invention of Wi-Fi is attributed to Australian organization CSIRO as their patented technology forms a critical part of the 802.11 standard; however several other technologies from other institutions and companies form the current Wi-Fi protocols. Many major tech companies infringed on CSIRO’s Wi-Fi patents and so they managed to scrape at least $250 million from settlements.

Wi-Fi is a brand name owned by the Wi-Fi Alliance that is used for the IEEE 802.11 wireless standard, and so often you will see both “Wi-FI” and “802.11x” used to mean the same thing. The x in 802.11x refers to the type of protocol, with generally a letter further along in the alphabet indicating faster wireless throughput. At the time of writing 802.11ac is the newest with a maximum single-link throughput of 500 Mb/s.

Read the rest of the article
This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

This story was brought to you by the letter "W" and the number "802.11"

Back