Neowin: Windows 9, here come the virtual desktops

Neowin

neowin windows windows 9 threshold virtual desktop

In the past, we had talked about how the UI for Threshold will be easily recognizable from other versions of Windows, but at the same time, will feel familiar to those who will likely be transitioning from Windows 7 or even Windows XP.

Microsoft is considering bringing virtual desktops to Windows Threshold. The feature, which is already on other platforms like Ubuntu and OS X is currently being tested and is said to have similar functionality to that of Ubuntu. You can activate the desktops with a button on the taskbar (subject to change) and there are keyboard shortcuts that let you jump between active desktops.

For those of you who have never used virtual desktops, they are a simple way to help stay organized and focused. The feature works by creating multiple “desktops” where you can keep open applications and then switch between the desktops to view other applications.

Ubuntu Virtual desktop feature shown above, Windows Threshold will act in a similar manner

For example, you can create a virtual desktop that has Outlook open and then other desktop with your web browser, both apps are running on their own desktop to allow you to focus on either web browsing, or email.

Read more about Windows Threshold.

Permalink to story.

Wasn't there an official Microsoft add-on for XP that gave you virtual desktops? (there were several 'extensions' by Microsoft for XP - image re-sizer was one too)

I distinctly remember running virtual desktops in XP somewhere around 2004 and I'm quite sure I wasn't using any 3rd party software to accomplish it.

Edit - Yes. Windows XP Powertoys. Here is a page listing 10 of them from 2003. Virtual Desktops is #1: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/windows-xp-powertoys

Wasn't there an official Microsoft add-on for XP that gave you virtual desktops? (there were several 'extensions' by Microsoft for XP - image re-sizer was one too)

I distinctly remember running virtual desktops in XP somewhere around 2004 and I'm quite sure I wasn't using any 3rd party software to accomplish it.

Edit - Yes. Windows XP Powertoys. Here is a page listing 10 of them from 2003. Virtual Desktops is #1: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/windows-xp-powertoys

Its starting to look like Microsoft's strategy for salvaging the Windows 8 disaster is to slowly re-introduce features we enjoyed a decade ago. No doubt they'll trumpet each "innovation" the same way Apple does every time they lift a feature from Android. A year after launch Windows 9 will hopefully have at least all the power that Windows XP offered with none of the handicaps foisted upon users by later versions.

This guy.(microsoft)

Going from one extreme to the other. Rearranging the windows experience for some power users(windows8) to adding a power user feature.

Anything that Windows 8 is missing can be found on stardock.com, including "Tiles" - support for multiple desktops. And all those components cost almost nothing.

I've been using "Start8" and "Fences" ever since I installed Windows 8, they are kick-*** and quite indispensable.

I gotta say, this would actually be pretty useful. You could have a desktop for work and one for play. That would be epic.
Not to mention a toilet full of RAM. Yeah there's nothing as stimulating as switching to boring old desktop work while playing an exciting game in the blink of an eye especially if you're constantly getting your butt shot off and need to pout.

Last edited:
Anything that Windows 8 is missing can be found on stardock.com, including "Tiles" - support for multiple desktops. And all those components cost almost nothing.

I've been using "Start8" and "Fences" ever since I installed Windows 8, they are kick-*** and quite indispensable.

Maybe true, but sometimes it's nice just to have the "basic" functionality that people expect to be in an operating system to actually be baked into the operating system itself...out of the box. Things like native support for DVD playback, virtual drives, DVD-copy/mastering, and compression functionality are all things I would expect at this point in the game.

It's a very bad move on Microsofts part to give people useful tools, have them become dependent on those tools, and then just rip them out of the operating system for no good reason/s.

I guess I *could* have taken the route at least a few power users have taken, like yourself, and said, "Okay, what software do I need to install to make this catastrophe more palatable". Sounds like you did good for yourself. But it does implicitly support Microsofts actions. If your strategy is always to do this, you may one day find yourself in a situation where you can't find software that you need. Or, it becomes more and more of a chore to morph the operating system to your liking.

I still believe that Windows 8 is Microsofts most sinister operating system. It goes deeper than a missing start menu. I don't like the UEFI security features that prevent booting into multiple operating systems on the same hard drive.

All that said, if somebody could release a piece of software that let the end-user customize the over-all look of the operating system to his/her liking it would go a long ways in luring some Windows 8 holdouts to upgrade to Windows 9.

The sooner the square, boring, dull, 4-bit color theme dies off in future versions of Windows...the better.

I like what the developers of Zorin OS are doing with their latest release. Offering 3 different UI themes(or more if you pay) so that people have choices and they get to decide what look they like best.

Personally I do not have any use for multiple desktops, but I can see where it would be useful to others.

It's there any way I can have two independent desktops on two different monitors without using extra hardware? I would love to be able to play in one screen and use the desktop at the same time

It's there any way I can have two independent desktops on two different monitors without using extra hardware? I would love to be able to play in one screen and use the desktop at the same time
Run the games in fullscreen windowed mode. Not all games support it.

Also it's not a good idea, because it just doesn't work. If you're playing Leage of Legends for example, and you move your mouse too far.... you're no longer moving the camera you're on another desktop. It just doesn't work.

Run the games in fullscreen windowed mode. Not all games support it.

Also it's not a good idea, because it just doesn't work. If you're playing Leage of Legends for example, and you move your mouse too far.... you're no longer moving the camera you're on another desktop. It just doesn't work.
Yeah I get that.. I thought he had a good question though.

Right now I run dual monitors side by side with Win 7. Cursor goes to the right on the left screen too far and it travels to the left side of right monitor. Thats great, gives me 1 huge desktop. But what if I don't want that. What if I want to have to force something to get to that 2nd monitor (just like you have to force your way to a different virtual desktop). Seems to me would be very valuable. I can't offhand think of why that is great, but I do remember back in 2003-2004 I was utilizing a couple virtual desktops.

I do this already. They're called applications that open, close, minimize, maximize, and snap to the left or the right sides of my screen.

I'd really like to see the numbers for the amount of users that actually have been using this feature on Ubuntu and OSX. I bet it's really really low.

And maybe they could call each desktop a 'window' and then we have an operating system called 'Windows'!!! Also I wonder whether memory and processor power would limit performance on all but the most powerful systems.

And maybe they could call each desktop a 'window' and then we have an operating system called 'Windows'!!! Also I wonder whether memory and processor power would limit performance on all but the most powerful systems.

I used to run virtual desktops on a pentium 4 with 512mb ram with no issues. And that was with compiz rendering them all onto a cuboid with transparency. Provided it's implemented sensibly there is no reason for massive resource usage.

Back