NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Setfree

I cannot get to startpage.com because no matter what browser I use (Chrome, Opera, or Brave), I get this error: "Your connection is not private," "NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID," Error also mentions HSTS. This even happens when trying to go to pandasecurity.com to see how to fix the error.
Nothing I have tried at Google Chrome Help or pandasecurity or elsewhere has fixed it. I do not have this issue on any other PC no matter the O.S. The PC with the issue has a new load of Windows 7 Pro, 4GB ram, Dell Inspiron E1505.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

There's a bad Certificate on the system -- look for an update
Thanks Jobeard. I tried that with a known good Certificate from a working PC. No fix. Also tried: Settings → Advanced → Manage Certificates-Import-Export...No fix. Is there a different way?

So far Jobeard, the only 2 are pandasecurity.com and startpage.com that I know of. The interesting thing is I can get to my startmail.com (which is a partner of startpage.com) I was referred by startmail.com support, to contact startpage.com support, which I did on 5/9/2020...but so far they have not contacted me. From what I found I am not alone with that issue although not necessarily with startpage.

Did not have to install Firefox 76.1. Installing SP2 did the trick Jobeard. Tanks a heap! ? Funny thing is, my other Win7 PC's only have SP1, and don't have the issue. Mark this baby SOLVED, thanks to Jobeard!

BTW: it wasn't SP2 directly, but it reloaded fresh Windows Certs and that was the fix -- albeit SP2 was the short path :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot get to startpage.com because no matter what browser I use (Chrome, Opera, or Brave), I get this error: "Your connection is not private," "NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID," Error also mentions HSTS. This even happens when trying to go to pandasecurity.com to see how to fix the error.
Nothing I have tried at Google Chrome Help or pandasecurity or elsewhere has fixed it. I do not have this issue on any other PC no matter the O.S. The PC with the issue has a new load of Windows 7 Pro, 4GB ram, Dell Inspiron E1505.

Chrome/Chromium-derivative browsers all use the CA embedded certificates store in the OS. According to contacts at Win7 forums, it is still updateable, though you will likely have to purge all the KB junk that sneaks in with it. M$ is hot to stealth-install forced updates to Win 8/ Win 10, and/or backport those corporate spyware 'features' to Win 7 users. As another mentioned, Firefox-derivative browsers have far less silly security errors, since they do not depend on the embedded certificates store in Win 7. Basilisk or Waterfox would work.

After a clean re install of Windows 10, I was getting a similar error message, "your connection is not secure." Only on that computer that did not have that problem previously, my Norton 360 was doing that to me. I had to un install it on that computer. Only Avast Secure Browser, after using Avast Internet Security, was able to reach the internet.
Has to be a program that you have. Uninstall one of you security programs to see if it is that.
The same set up on other computers and I had no problems.
Could be that the internet see's a new install of Windows 10 as a threat at first.

Thanks Wuertz. I forgot to come back months ago :dizzy:and post my issue turned out to be Brave Browser. Found out Waterfox does not depend on Microsilly for certificates, as Waterfox uses their own. Go figure.

Back