.Net framework 2.0 refusing to install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper1106

Hey guys,

Been trying to install .NET 2.0 from the microsoft auto and manual installers on a friends laptop however when running the dotnetfx.exe installer. "Extracting files..." appears and I see files transferring and then this dialog disappears and nothing else happens..... no setup or anything.

.NET does not appear in Add/Remove. its like its bailing out half way through installation.

TaskManager processes shows: dotnetfx.exe running

Have tried everything I can think of. Have cleared temporary caches, redownloaded the file about 8 times. Uninstalling all previous .NET versions 1.0 1.1 makes no difference.

After the extraction process it does not indicate which folder it has extracted to.

ive also gone as far to create a batch file to try to force it to run through all its processes. It just hangs on the Dos window, even though i've told the window to close after installation. After 50 minutes still no joy!

Code:
@ECHO OFF 
ECHO Installing DotNet 2 
start /wait dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install.exe /q" 

exit

Anyone any ideas? This is driving me bonkers, never had this much trouble before.

Leave the .NET 1.1 in
Run Advanced Windows Care (free version) or Cleaner also free. There is a registry feature that will remove anything left in the registry for .NET 2.0. So it can ben install. You might have to go under SAFE Mode to remove both versions...
then install .NET 2.0.

Tip thank you for your response.

I have uninstalled all .Net framework programs from Add/Remove now. Do you think there are invalid registry entries still left over and would you advise I install Net 1.1 and then attempt 2.0 after a registry clean?

Or

Registry clean and try and install 2.0 once more? I guess what I'm asking is does windows xp sp2 need 1.1 in order to install 2.0?

Can you give me any indication on what registry entries to look out for?

Search Microsoft.com for this issue. They have a knowledge base article and fixes published there.

Hey Ray,

I've pretty much given up on the microsoft site, I rarely post on forums unless I have been going around in circles for hours on end with no strong results or indication to what the problem maybe.

Admittedly I had not done a registry clean out but I have read fixes and articles these past two days until the information is so screwed up i'm all out of ideas. Absolutely crazy the way this machine is behaving right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back