Inactive Netbt.sys infection

I had the first pop-up on my computer in a very long time the other day so I decided to do some cleaning. Using AVG free, MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D at least twice each, I turned up nothing. Finally AVG picked up an infected Netbt.sys. Other than the pop-ups I also get random FPS drops in videos and games at random times. This requires a restart to fix. After looking around for solutions i ended here with questions...

It's been awhile since I've done any real cleaning. Should I just reformat? If I choose not to reformat, should I replace the file? I don't have a 'clean copy' of my own. I'm running Win7 32bit as a (legal) download. I can post logs from the above programs, but they always return clean other than AVG occasionally picking up the netbt.sys and doing nothing about it.

Welcome to TechSpot!

Clean or reformat? The choice is yours.

netbt.sys infection is usually from Backdoor.Tidserv!inf. We can remove infected files, but anytime the malware has the 'backdoor' functionality, we cannot be sure the system hasn't been compromised.

If you would like to do the former: Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
=========================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.
If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================

I have an official windows 7 restore disc, but not the original copy of windows. It was a downloaded version that they are having trouble getting back to me. Will this restore disc do the trick? I could care less about my own files. They are easily replaced/saved.

Please explain:
I have an official windows 7 restore disc, but not the original copy of windows. It was a downloaded version that they are having trouble getting back to me.

Downloaded from where? Why?

Did you plan to try and clean this malware?

I will clean it if necessary. I'm currently shopping for a new hard drive and doubling my RAM. Once I have my parts I'll clean/reformat as needed.

Quick rundown about my Win7 software! I downloaded it via microsoft online store using a student discount and email and had the restore disc mailed to me. No longer attending the school, I lost access to this email. I'm trying to get the rights to my Win7 again. I did, however, save all my info including activation keys. I had no idea that they had such poor customer service. It has not been easy completing a phone call or getting a email.

Given you're a busy person here I'll ask a few questions with details they hopefully get out of your hair.

My CPU is a Frankenstein of mixed parts over the past 5 years. The big problem I have been having is massive and random FPS drops. My video card isn't having issues as far as my evga monitor call tell. The popups aren't really popups at all, but random redirects when clicking links via Firefox. Is this a side effect of netbt.sys infection? Or my own monster's undoing in another area?
Is repairing netbt.sys a viable solution for my machine? Or, if i can't get my Win7 back, with a new hard drive should I simply reformat and start over for safety before I transfer everything?

New Holiday Notice! I will not be working on the threads Sat. Dec. 31 or Sunday Jan. 1 I will begin with the oldest threads first on Monday. I will do my best to get you finished or as far along as I can before that. Please do not send a PM during those days.

We will continue with the review on Monday.

Back