Netflix getting first-run movies sooner, same time as pay TV

Emil

Staff

Netflix has struck a multi-year agreement with FilmDistrict, a production, distribution, and financing company, to stream first-run movies as soon as pay TV gets them. Under the deal, movies that would have been licensed to pay cable channels will now go to Netflix for streaming as well, beginning in 2011.

Movies typically arrive in theaters, then are released on DVD, then show up on pay TV, and finally hit streaming services last. This particular deal makes the last two on par; major motion pictures that traditionally would have been licensed to premium cable channels will flow instead from FilmDistrict to Netflix for streaming to its members.

Netflix seems to be working around the clock to cut deals in order to bring more new releases to its streaming option. The move is notable because it means Netflix is even more so competing with premium cable channels.

FilmDistrict was created earlier this year by Oscar-winning producer Graham King and his business partners Tim Headington and Peter Schlessel. Film industry veterans Bob Berney and Adrian Alperovich recently also joined FilmDistrict.

"Netflix has a long and successful history working with Peter Schlessel and Bob Berney, and I have long admired Graham King's amazing production success with movies like 'The Departed' and 'Blood Diamond,' which are among the most watched and highly rated movies of all time by Netflix members," Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix, said in a statement. "We are thrilled to be in business with these proven tastemakers and entertainment business leaders."

Permalink to story.

Nice step from Netflix to give its customers access to movies sooner. Keep customers happy and probably help boost new subscription.

TeamworkGuy2 said:
Nice step from Netflix to give its customers access to movies sooner. Keep customers happy and probably help boost new subscription.
Especially since they just upped the price for the DVD + streaming services.

Nice.... This is bringing me real close to paying for a netflix account. I hope this brings us some good variety as well. Although I will say, they better have full HD content or i'm not interested.

I cut out all my comcast movie channels a while ago. Comcast was getting too outrageous in their pricing. I have 3 hi-def TVs in the house and my bill was over $180 a month. I have no alternatives as I live in a rental townhouse apartment and FIOS is not in my area.

Why does nobody talk about the downgrade in audio and video quality from streaming compared to a DVD? I too love the convenience, but wish for DVD quality.

Hmmmm, Netflix looks better all the time...Too bad I still don't have a fast enough internet connection (768k) to actually watch a movie though.

They will hate, and they will retalliate by dropping monthly downloading limits. I am waiting to see if the govenrment gets involved at somepoint. There a got to be a conflict of interest with cable TV providers also becoming THE broadband carriers of the country.

i tried it....right now...the movies are terrible to horrible. i looked for iron man 2....they didn't even have iron man 1!!!

Back