Netflix grabs Seinfeld rights in $500 million+ deal, will stream show in 4K

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It might have come to an end in 1998, but few comedies are as loved today as Seinfeld. It’s why Netflix has reportedly paid over $500 million to secure the rights to the show for five years, starting in 2021.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the deal will see all 180 episodes of Seinfeld offered to Netflix’s US and global subscribers once it leaves Hulu in 2021.

While Hulu paid $130 million to secure the comedy for six years of domestic streaming rights—Amazon had the rights for most overseas locations—Netflix’s deal will grant it total control. While the exact amount it paid for Seinfeld is unclear, the Times reports that it’s “far more” than the $500 million NBCUniversal paid for The Office and the $425 million WarnerMedia paid for Friends.

Netflix will doubtlessly be positioning Seinfeld as a replacement for Friends and The Office, which are leaving for HBO Max in 2020 and NBCUniversal’s service in 2021, respectively. The pair were the two most-streamed Netflix shows last year.

Seinfeld, which turned 30 this year, originally had a 4:3 aspect ratio and came in standard definition. Hulu remastered the show into an HD, widescreen format, and Netflix will be presenting the entire series in 4K.

“Seinfeld is the television comedy that all television comedy is measured against,” said Netflix’s chief content officer, Ted Sarandos. “It is as fresh and funny as ever and will be available to the world in 4K for the first time.”

Permalink to story.

"Seinfeld" and "Friends", were two shows I avoided like the plague. IMHO, neither one was particularly funny, and certainly not worth a half billion dollars to buy the rights to constantly rerun either one.

I can't imagine how this would look in 4K. I can't Imagine that the source recordings were done in anything near that quality way back then. I know the 1080p of Friends doesn't look too bad, but its nowhere near the stuff that comes out these days.

Did they actually remaster it again from film or are they just upscaling the other HD remaster?

Netflix You say... the most leftist TV in the world, right after North Korea outlets. Are They going to edit Cosmo Kramer out or just re-shoot His scenes with someone else?

First it was Amy Schumer, then Obama signing a contract to work with NETFLIX and now this! Thank god I dropped NETFLIX a while back!

Am I the only one that falls a sleep if Seinfeld is on? One of the most boring shows of all time.

"Seinfeld" and "Friends", were two shows I avoided like the plague. IMHO, neither one was particularly funny, and certainly not worth a half billion dollars to buy the rights to constantly rerun either one.

You serious? You never saw this clip where Joey's refrigerator breaks and tries to blame his friends hoping for a new free fridge? Then with no options left he shoves Ross into the fridge randomly then say's he broke it and has to pay lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVm7ZWZIXQc

Friends, yah, brutal show. Can't believe I watched it religiously in the 90's...that and Melrose Place...another waste of airtime. But Seinfeld, nah, it's smart-funny. It's not in the same league as Extras/Life's Too Short or Arrested Development, but nothing has come close since. Ridiculous however that a show about nothing can make people so disgustingly rich while the world implodes around us. Priorities people...

Few comedies are as loved today as Seinfeld
Loved by whom? Morons with IQ < 110?

I wish they remade The West Wing in 4K instead. Ask Trump to quote or explain anything from that show, and be afraid. Fiction vs reality has never been this far apart.

The Big Bang Theory, 2 1/2 Men, Friends, The Bachelor...those are shows for the great unwashed. Not Seinfeld. I'm actually surprised it did so well as it doesn't feed the exact same storyline to people every single episode (ala the shows I mentioned).

I find the West Wing boring and very self-important...although I'm not American and don't get your obsession with shows/movies about 'The President of the United States,' which is repeated in these shows to such a sickening degree I get physically nauseous. We get it, he's the president...you can just say president. I think Trump/Bush have shown how ridiculous the position is anyways.

Seinfeld is like a stand-up comedy reenacted with actors and story. I used to watch it as a kid back in the 90s. I didn't understand it then, but now that I'm in my 30s, it makes a lot sense. A classic comedy beyond its time.
Friends = overrated.

Don’t see how 4K will make it any better - it’s an amazing show, but with 4K is for effects - and Seinfeld doesn’t have any...

Loved by whom? Morons with IQ < 110?

I wish they remade The West Wing in 4K instead. Ask Trump to quote or explain anything from that show, and be afraid. Fiction vs reality has never been this far apart.
"The West Wing", has been remade, at least after a fashion. It's called "Madam Secretary". It's more of a down in the trenches, pull back the curtain, take on the behind the headlines mechanics of politics.

It's been renewed for a 6th and final season on CBS, If you liked the West Wing, you should love Madam Secretary.

I've been watching 'Cheers' on Netflix lately, as I am regular happy hour attendee.
It's pretty cool, even though I'm not a Boston fan.

You serious? You never saw this clip where Joey's refrigerator breaks and tries to blame his friends hoping for a new free fridge? Then with no options left he shoves Ross into the fridge randomly then say's he broke it and has to pay lol....[ ]....
Matt LeBlanc ("Joey"), is the only member of Friends cast at present on a major network. His, "Man with a Plan", is doing well.

As for "Friends", after listening to David Swimmer endlessly whimper and whine through his nose, I can empathize with how "Alex" felt when they clamped his eyes open, then forced him to watch smut, after being given an aversion therapy drug in, "A Clockwork Orange". :eek:

Last edited:
I've been watching 'Cheers' on Netflix lately, as I am regular happy hour attendee.
It's pretty cool, even though I'm not a Boston fan.
"Cheers" was always worth watching. It went downhill a bit after "Diane" left and Kirstie Alley took her place in the cast.

Shelly Long fit the stereotype of an overly artsy socially conscious snob to a T, and was the perfect foil for Danson's beer guzzling womanizer.

"The West Wing", has been remade, at least after a fashion. It's called "Madam Secretary". It's more of a down in the trenches, pull back the curtain, take on the behind the headlines mechanics of politics.

It's been renewed for a 6th and final season on CBS, If you liked the West Wing, you should love Madam Secretary.

I have watched Madam Secretary in its entirety, but only because I am into those kind of movies, not that I was in any way impressed by it. It is far behind The West Wing in every way, too simplistic and naive for the most part, a political soap opera more like, while The West Wing is the real and intelligent masterpiece.

I have watched Madam Secretary in its entirety, but only because I am into those kind of movies, not that I was in any way impressed by it. It is far behind The West Wing in every way, too simplistic and naive for the most part, a political soap opera more like, while The West Wing is the real and intelligent masterpiece.
Soap Opera huh? Well, it's the only game in town ATM. If you don't care for prime time soap operas, then hopefully you avoided "Dallas".

In sort of a scary flashback, I was in my friend's auto repair shop, when what to my poor wondering eyes should appear, but a pearl white Cadillac two seat convertible, with a vanity tag that read, "JR EWING". I guess somebody must have liked that show. :rolleyes:

Most people remember the reruns of Friends that had a lot of "edgy" content cut out for commercials. I don't think Seinfeld will do as well. Not even with 4k. It just hasn't aged as well, the younger crowd won't be as receptive. Maybe an international audience who hasn't seen it? Still no. I prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm over the latter.

Well, first off, a TV show's popularity is not necessarily indicative of its quality. IMO, this certainly holds truest for "Seinfeld"

The funniest half hour sitcom of all time was, (IMHO, of course), was the rather raunchy, "Two Broke Girls".

Very often, the 2nd funniest is, (believe it or not, agree with me or not), is N.C.I.S. Los Angeles. The sniping and quick witted banter between Kenzie" and "Deeks", sometimes can make it hard to catch your breath from laughing so hard.

Matt LeBlanc's, (formerly of friends), "Man with a Plan", is a poor ripoff of Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing". which returns on Fox this fall, after a year's hiatus
The LeBlanc "comedy", used "Last Man" as an almost verbatim template, to prop up an aging and almost forgotten "star", from friends.

Back