Netflix has no plans to follow Disney+ in offering an ad-supported tier, but "never say...

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Last week’s news that Disney+ would be introducing a cheaper, ad-supported tier has left us with several questions, including whether rival Netflix will do the same. Now, we have the answer: no, at least not anytime soon.

Disney didn’t reveal too many details about its ad-supported tier that's set to arrive on its streaming service later this year. The company never announced any pricing, but it will presumably offer a cheaper alternative to its $7.99 per month / $79.99 per year up-front cost; much like the Disney-owned Hulu, whose $12.99 per month subscription is cut almost in half to $6.99 if you can stand the advertisements and don’t mind missing out on 4K.

With others doing it, will the world’s biggest streamer, Netflix, also offer a cheaper, ad-supported tier for those who won’t or can’t pay its $9.99 per month Basic plan? CFO Spencer Neumann said it’s “not something that’s in our plans.”

“It’s hard for us to kind of ignore that others are doing it, but it now doesn’t make sense for us,” said Neumann, speaking at Morgan Stanley’s 2022 Technology, Media & Telecom Conference (via Variety)

That might sound quite definite, but Neumann hinted that Netflix wouldn’t be ruling out the idea permanently. “We have a really nice scalable subscription model, and again, never say never, but it’s not in our plan,” he added.

With Paramount+, Peacock, Hulu, and soon Disney+ offering ad-supported tiers, it seems Netflix will be the only top streamer without such an option.

January saw Netflix increase its prices for all US users, and it lost a quarter of its value a few weeks later due to slowing subscriber growth. But while an ad-supported tier sounds like it could make sense, don’t expect to see one in the near future.

Permalink to story.

They have no plans to... unless Disney's model happens to work... in which case... plans change...

I believe the first minute of this clip covers it...

I cancelled Netflix after I realised I handnt used it for 5 months. This meant I had wasted £70 on it. And now I hear they are putting the price up again? Ah well, guess I will stick with Prime and Disney then.

I cancelled my neftflix (top tier) sub after realizing I wasn't using it for months AND it's catalogue of shows/movies was very lacking + the part where they announced another sub price increase, NO THANKS.

I'm thinking of getting on that good, super cheap offer from HBO Max, but I dont know their full catalogue yet.

I have Netflix 4k Tier which is now over $20 with the tax. Then I have 4 other subscriptions of which 2 I pay for the commerical free version because I hate Commercials when watching a TV show or movie.

So the day that Netflix Forces Ads on us will be the day it gets dumped. I think $20 a month is paying more than enough so I can give advertisers the middle finger while blissfully enjoying my uninterrupted 4k HDR programming.

People are already hating Netflix and unwanted popping ads will eventually force the people to quit the platform for good.

Back