Netflix in talks for original content to rival cable networks

Jos

Staff

Video streaming giant Netflix is reportedly looking to rival traditional cable networks as it negotiates to acquire an original television series directed by "The Social Network" 's David Fincher and starring actor Kevin Spacey. According to Deadline Hollywood, the company just outbid both HBO and AMC for Media Rights Capital's (MRC) drama television series House of Cards, in the first step of a wider effort to entice new subscribers to its streaming service.

The deal is said to be worth around $100 million for a two-season commitment of 26 episodes total. The show, a political thriller based on a novel and BBC miniseries of the same name, would go straight to series without piloting. Netflix would have the exclusive right to distribute the series online before anyone else could make it available, but Media Rights Capital could make subsequent deals for later broadcast or DVD sales.

Netflix is the clear leader in terms of market share when it comes to movie and TV shows streaming. But the company has been feeling the heat from its competitors, including Amazon.com, which last month announced its own subscription based video streaming service. Investing in original content is a big bet on their part.

If successful and if Netflix can build and maintain an attractive lineup of exclusive content, it could mark a departure from the traditional TV model, where the Internet would become the first channel of distribution as opposed to an outlet for previously-aired shows. We certainly don't expect such a shift to happen overnight but it's an interesting thought.

Permalink to story.

I hope they can pull it off, the majority of content from my cable provider is info-mercials.

Mizz that would not surprise me if its true. It still pisses me off that we pay for cable and

1. Have commercials

2. Have paid programs

3. Have advertisements inside tv shows while I am watching them!!!

The cable companies have gotten greedy and fat. They will go the way of hollywood video and soon to be blockbuster.

I think its really the end for netflix. If you didn't know, ATT just imposed a 150G cap on dsl per month. Comcast has a 250G cap. If a 2 hour hi def movie is 25G, then you can only watch 12 hours of tv per month without being charged extra. Then consider the price. A blu-ray dvd is $1.50 at redbox. WIthout overages, I know someone who pays $70 a month for Comcast without counting overages. That's like 50 hi def movies if that's all you did. Don't get me started on Google tv either. ATT is sending their Uverse tv over the same pipe, even tho they claim too much traffic.

You are not accurate with your statement. I have comcast and no download or upload limit. Also, not sure what's up with AT&T, but at least here...comcast purchased them out 10 years ago.

My wife works for major tel-co in Canada,caps are coming for all carriers and they are even contemplating a 24 hr cap, to stop over use of streaming.
Gladly pay a monthly fee for Netflix, if they arrange to pay for my bandwidth

Micheal

A 2hr hi def movie us around 4GB. And comcast has no limit where I al either.

Back