Netflix is trialing a variable playback speed option in its Android app

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The ability to speed up the playback of media is especially popular with podcast listeners and those that enjoy audiobooks as it allows them to consume more content at a faster rate. This is particularly handy when listening to slow-paced material or if you’ve got a limited amount of time to listen.

If you’re finding it increasingly difficult to allocate time in your busy schedule to squeeze in a binge-watching session on Netflix, a new feature being trialed with some Android users might be of interest.

As Android Police highlights, some Android users have discovered a new variable playback speed option in the video playback menu. If you have it, you’ll have the ability to slow playback speed to 0.5x or 0.75x or boost it to 1.25x or 1.5x.

YouTube has a similar variable playback speed option that many aren’t aware even exists.

Doing the same with video might seem a bit harsh but eh, that’s what testing is for, right? I personally wouldn’t be interested in watching a video at an accelerated pace as it would feel comically unnatural and destroy the immersion the storyteller is looking to build. But hey, to each their own.

It’s unclear exactly when this feature went live although based on Twitter mentions, it may have been in play for a week or so now. Do you see the new variable playback speed option on your Android device yet?

Masthead credit: Netflix by Nicolas Maderna

Permalink to story.

I use the feature on YouTube all the time. A lot of people talk wayyyyyyyy too slow (and pause way too much) and also take three times as long as they should to say what they need to say. I like it less on TV shows because I like to keep the pacing the way it's intended but there are times I wish I had it.

I use the feature on YouTube all the time. A lot of people talk wayyyyyyyy too slow (and pause way too much) and also take three times as long as they should to say what they need to say. I like it less on TV shows because I like to keep the pacing the way it's intended but there are times I wish I had it.
I agree with all that. Though I could see myself using it on Netflix for some documentaries and educational videos.

Naruto was way to slow for me, but because they replayed scenes half the time. Otherwise I agree.

Certainly not new at all ... television stations have used this for decades in order to squeeze in more commercials or to shorten long running movies into limited time slots. I like the idea but at over 15% increase in speed you're going to notice it ......

In youtube you can even change the custom speed to say 0.9x or 1.05x which is way more natural than say predefined 0.75x and 1.25x.

just click the small custom button on the upper right side of the playback speed pop-up

Back