Netflix lays off majority of staff at fan site just months after it launched

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? In another sign that things are far from rosy at Netflix, the streaming giant has laid off a number of editorial staffers and contractors at its Tudum fan site that launched just over four months ago. The company insists the project isn't going to be shuttered, but this appears to be another belt-tightening exercise for Netflix after it lost subscribers for the first time in a decade.

Tudum, named after the first global fan event in September, arrived in early December as a Netflix companion site. It features exclusive content related to the streaming service, such as if a series has been renewed (it probably hasn't), when it is coming out, trivia about shows, and a lot more.

But Deadline reports that as part of a restructuring of Netflix's marketing department, 25 positions at the company have been eliminated, most of which came from Tudum—ten members of staff were reportedly laid off from the site.

The move might look as if Netflix is getting ready to close down Tudum, but a spokesperson said this isn't the case. "Our fan website Tudum is an important priority for the company," they confirmed.

Former Vice culture writer Josh Terry tweeted about the layoffs, noting that he and his team had been let go from Tudum.

The news comes just as Netflix's quarterly results revealed it had lost 200,000 subscribers since the beginning of the year, which it blames on password sharers, increased competition, and its withdrawal from the Russian market. But a recent report shows that US consumers may have reached peak subscription: American households have stopped adding to their roster of streaming subscriptions after almost two years of constant growth.

Permalink to story.

Netflix's collapse is due to a few factors.

#1 COVID quarantine ended - people aren't at home glued to their TV.

#2 Rotation from growth stocks to value stocks. The investments have been reinvested.

#3 The WOKE content has caused some to re-evaluate their relationship with Netflix.

#4 The average family is being "Taxed" so hard by gas prices and cost-of-living-increases that they don't have the "Extra disposable income" for Netflix, Disney or any other premium services.

#5 P2P downloading

You know, the sad part is that in a sane world, Netflix losing 200,000 subscribers shouldn't be *that much of a problem* when you consider they have 200,000,000 subscribers. It's 0.1% of their total subscriber count.

This is still more money coming in than the film industry of entire countries for years, every month still goes to them.

Why do people never stop to ask themselves "Why do we live in a system where companies literally have to eventually sell their product to every living being on the planet and not being continuously expanding to that level is considered a failure?" Why do we need a company to have THAT MUCH of a reach? What's wrong with Netflix having to "Settle" for maybe 180,000,000 subscribers and pulling in 1.8 billion per month from them?

That should be enough: the fact that it isn't it's a bigger indication of how sick the world is if we expect this much cultural hegemony from a single company mostly because well, Disney is passing them into being just that much of an influence. Does anyone stops to think that the only way Disney has to get any bigger is to systematically start destroying the local and even national culture of most of the people in the world in favor if their American culture simply because that's the only way left for them to expand and keep growing? How is this ok for anyone? Why are so many articles focusing on "Netflix is dying" and not "Disney is dangerously close to devour the world's culture and just outdoing everything and anything, in perpetuity since nothing can compete with their onslaught of content"

You know, the sad part is that in a sane world, Netflix losing 200,000 subscribers shouldn't be *that much of a problem* when you consider they have 200,000,000 subscribers. It's 0.1% of their total subscriber count.

This is still more money coming in than the film industry of entire countries for years, every month still goes to them.

Why do people never stop to ask themselves "Why do we live in a system where companies literally have to eventually sell their product to every living being on the planet and not being continuously expanding to that level is considered a failure?" Why do we need a company to have THAT MUCH of a reach? What's wrong with Netflix having to "Settle" for maybe 180,000,000 subscribers and pulling in 1.8 billion per month from them?

That should be enough: the fact that it isn't it's a bigger indication of how sick the world is if we expect this much cultural hegemony from a single company mostly because well, Disney is passing them into being just that much of an influence. Does anyone stops to think that the only way Disney has to get any bigger is to systematically start destroying the local and even national culture of most of the people in the world in favor if their American culture simply because that's the only way left for them to expand and keep growing? How is this ok for anyone? Why are so many articles focusing on "Netflix is dying" and not "Disney is dangerously close to devour the world's culture and just outdoing everything and anything, in perpetuity since nothing can compete with their onslaught of content"
What's all this culture BS? their stock went down because they went from adding 8.3 millions subs per month to losing 200k. That a TOTAL growth loss of 8.5 million, beause either the new account creation totally dried up overnight or MILLIONS are now closing their accounts. That's a pretty big deal.

Netflix's collapse is due to a few factors.

#1 COVID quarantine ended - people aren't at home glued to their TV.

#2 Rotation from growth stocks to value stocks. The investments have been reinvested.

#3 The WOKE content has caused some to re-evaluate their relationship with Netflix.

#4 The average family is being "Taxed" so hard by gas prices and cost-of-living-increases that they don't have the "Extra disposable income" for Netflix, Disney or any other premium services.

#5 P2P downloading
Also they raised their rates about a month ago.

How do you equate vaccine mandates with Black Female Viking Warlords?

Get numb, stay dumb?
Alas, can't find a word that rhymes with Cupid...
Have you seen the movie Troy with Brad Pitt? Then go watch Hercules in Troy in the Netflix series. Notice a difference? My favorite genre went from historically accurate to fantasy in just a decade or so. This cancer is spreading to the gaming industry as well.
Will this woke monopolies learn their lesson? I hope so.

Have you seen the movie Troy with Brad Pitt? Then go watch Hercules in Troy in the Netflix series. Notice a difference? My favorite genre went from historically accurate to fantasy in just a decade or so. This cancer is spreading to the gaming industry as well.
If you are calling Troy with Brad Pitt "Historically Accurate" then you need to read a book or two...

Are some movies "crap" because they are woke? Certainly.... but Troy with Brad Pitt - which is not woke at all - was a turd of a movie all by itself...

And my issue is comparing "woke" with vaccine mandates... they are NOT connected!

you said American culture. The woke culture is constantly moving left America has 2 cultures one of a constant culture of freedom via conservativism ( via constitution) and the other one based on Marxism. They definitely do not represent the heart of American Culture they appose it!

If you are calling Troy with Brad Pitt "Historically Accurate" then you need to read a book or two...

Are some movies "crap" because they are woke? Certainly.... but Troy with Brad Pitt - which is not woke at all - was a turd of a movie all by itself...

And my issue is comparing "woke" with vaccine mandates... they are NOT connected!
It's true but some will always use scapegoats for their failures.

you said American culture. The woke culture is constantly moving left America has 2 cultures one of a constant culture of freedom via conservativism ( via constitution) and the other one based on Marxism. They definitely do not represent the heart of American Culture they appose it!
You might be too close to observe but trust me: As an outsider the american 'woke' and 'based' lines of thought are so far away removed from the reality of outsiders that they might as well be the same thing.

I get it: there's an industry of grifters trying to convince you that this is an existential threat but for folks abroad, on the receiving end on American Imperialism, they're irrelevant differences that come from domestic infighting. Outwardly, both team woke and team based represent the same thing: cultural, economical and at times even military imperialism.

You might be too close to observe but trust me: As an outsider the american 'woke' and 'based' lines of thought are so far away removed from the reality of outsiders that they might as well be the same thing.

I get it: there's an industry of grifters trying to convince you that this is an existential threat but for folks abroad, on the receiving end on American Imperialism, they're irrelevant differences that come from domestic infighting. Outwardly, both team woke and team based represent the same thing: cultural, economical and at times even military imperialism.
Trust me the conservative do not not like this globalism either its the left, aka, elites, aka establishment that are pushing for this. We understand what's happening but they simply have too much control.

What do Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, and Amazon Prime have in common? They mostly all show the same movies. What makes the streaming service stand out is their exclusive content, content they don't share with other streaming services. For instance Disney+ keeps Star Wars or anything related to it only for themselves. The reason why people pay for multiple streaming services is for that exclusive content.

"When you pay for 3, 4, 5 streaming services and you only really watch 1 streaming service most of the time, then you start rethinking priorities."

Account sharing is a non subject. Netflix hasn't revealed how many of it's user base are sharing accounts. Which has me believe it's probably less than 1 percent. Someone who gets their access for free from a family member or friend would of probably never paid for the service in the first place.

In the beginning being the only streaming service in town, with no competition, they could basically charge what they wanted. As more competition came into play, Netflix failed to justify the high price they were charging and the many price increases. Sure Netflix has a no ad business model but of course that comes with a price. If they went to a 2 tier business model, 1 price with ads and 1 price without, they would of not run into these issues.

As far as woke, that's a non starter. All the streaming service are showing at least 1 woke show. That's like saying your going to boycott a company when they have their fingers into everything. The only problem I see if they only showed only woke shows and cancelled everything else which they won't do. The way I see it, don't watch the woke show.

"Streaming service can take it one step further and allow users to remove shows and movies from being shown on their movie screen. They can do it based on the account."

What do Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, and Amazon Prime have in common? They mostly all show the same movies. What makes the streaming service stand out is their exclusive content, content they don't share with other streaming services. For instance Disney+ keeps Star Wars or anything related to it only for themselves. The reason why people pay for multiple streaming services is for that exclusive content.

"When you pay for 3, 4, 5 streaming services and you only really watch 1 streaming service most of the time, then you start rethinking priorities."

Account sharing is a non subject. Netflix hasn't revealed how many of it's user base are sharing accounts. Which has me believe it's probably less than 1 percent. Someone who gets their access for free from a family member or friend would of probably never paid for the service in the first place.

In the beginning being the only streaming service in town, with no competition, they could basically charge what they wanted. As more competition came into play, Netflix failed to justify the high price they were charging and the many price increases. Sure Netflix has a no ad business model but of course that comes with a price. If they went to a 2 tier business model, 1 price with ads and 1 price without, they would of not run into these issues.

As far as woke, that's a non starter. All the streaming service are showing at least 1 woke show. That's like saying your going to boycott a company when they have their fingers into everything. The only problem I see if they only showed only woke shows and cancelled everything else which they won't do. The way I see it, don't watch the woke show.

"Streaming service can take it one step further and allow users to remove shows and movies from being shown on their movie screen. They can do it based on the account."
I like this mentality just ignore the woke shows and watch the non woke shows. But what happens when all the shows cartoons, games, etc etc is woke? It's definitely moving towards that way. My 10 year old's content is even more woke compared to just 5 years ago. By the way I still have Disney plus and Netflix subscription active even after watching these woke shows. If there was alternative options I would cancel in a heartbeat.

Hold. Wait a minute. Brad bit is greek? I never knew that. No wonder the movie Troy was so successful; it stayed historically accurate to character races in the mythology of the sacking of Troy, unlike more modern history series that will happily employ actors of a different race than the character was supposed to be.

Hold. Wait a minute. Brad bit is greek? I never knew that. No wonder the movie Troy was so successful; it stayed historically accurate to character races in the mythology of the sacking of Troy, unlike more modern history series that will happily employ actors of a different race than the character was supposed to be.
if historically accurate is a spectrum of 100% accuracy vs 100 % fictional for me subjectively I would say it's leaning towards 75% accuracy if you want to get specific.
Update vs more like 25% accuracy and 75 fictional content today? Thoughts?

I like this mentality just ignore the woke shows and watch the non woke shows. But what happens when all the shows cartoons, games, etc etc is woke? It's definitely moving towards that way. My 10 year old's content is even more woke compared to just 5 years ago. By the way I still have Disney plus and Netflix subscription active even after watching these woke shows. If there was alternative options I would cancel in a heartbeat.

I don't like it as much as you do but what can you do? As I said in my post what's the sense of boycotting a company when companies have their hands into everything. I also stated streaming services should give users the ability to remove shows and movies from the movie screen. So if there is a woke movie on the movie screen I should have the ability to remove it and it would never be shown to me again.

Trust me the conservative do not not like this globalism either its the left, aka, elites, aka establishment that are pushing for this. We understand what's happening but they simply have too much control.
How many Democrat president turns you had over the last 20 years? How many Republican ones?

Seems to be pretty equal to me, specially since it's not looking good for a second Biden term right now anyway but we'll see.

hol up,

what show is this, I dont use netflix but I need to see a trailer of this or something. sounds nuts

if historically accurate is a spectrum of 100% accuracy vs 100 % fictional for me subjectively I would say it's leaning towards 75% accuracy if you want to get specific.
Update vs more like 25% accuracy and 75 fictional content today? Thoughts?
Try 2% accurate?

First of all... The entire movie is based, LOOSELY, on a FICTIONAL book (Homer's Iliad) written 3000 years ago...

Second of all: it doesn't even follow that book accurately!! Hint: Agamemnon and Menelaus don't die in the book...Paris DOES... and Ajax kills himself - Hector doesn't kill him! Oh... and Achilles dies BEFORE the Trojan Horse is built (that actually happens in the Odyssey, Homer's second book, and we hear about it after the fact while Odysseus is journeying home). Larger inaccuracies include the LENGTH of the war - it lasts a few weeks in the movie but takes TEN YEARS in the book! Also, while the movie portrays Odysseus as good and wise, he is the one who murders Hector's infant son in the Iliad...

I could probably go on for pages and pages here... Troy is probably my least favourite movie of all time - I have a degree in history and was really looking forward to it when it came out... but I suspect everyone stopped reading after my first sentence.

Conclusion: Troy = NOT ACCURATE - just CRAPPY!!!

Vaccine mandates for employees...
Black Female Viking warlords in TV series...

Go Woke, go Broke.
Go woke, go broke.

OMG! There's a black actress in the series, Heaven forbid! The Earth is coming to an end!

Great (hypercritical) Christian values from conservaturd's land of Fakebelieve.

I don't like it as much as you do but what can you do? As I said in my post what's the sense of boycotting a company when companies have their hands into everything. I also stated streaming services should give users the ability to remove shows and movies from the movie screen. So if there is a woke movie on the movie screen I should have the ability to remove it and it would never be shown to me again.
You do. It's called "stop watching and never watch it again" You want someone to do that for you???? Talk about not taking personal responsibility, or about blaming someone/thing else for YOUR viewing habits. Sheesh!

Back