Netflix price hikes in the US: $1 more for standard, premium tier is going up $2

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: More bad news for entertainment enthusiasts on Thursday as Netflix said it is raising the cost of its most popular subscription tier in the US by $1, to a new total of $14 per month. Those who subscribe to Netflix’s 4K resolution package will see rates increase by $2 per month, to $18. Netflix’s entry-level tier remains unchanged at $9 a month.

A dollar here or two bucks there may not seem like much but multiply the numbers by the millions of paying subscribers Netflix enjoys and it’s easy to see how it adds up.

Netflix’s share value is up nearly four percent on the news. As of writing, shares are trading at $504.21 each.

Bloomberg said the price changes will go into effect immediately for new subscribers. Existing members should see the new rates reflected in their billing statement over the next two months.

Netflix said they are updating their prices in order to be able to continue to offer a variety of TV shows and films. “As always, we offer a range of plans so that people can pick a price that works best for the budget,” the company added.

Netflix last announced a price hike in the US back in January 2019, adding $1 to the standard option and $2 to the mid-grade tier. The Ultra HD tier also jumped $2 at the time.

Masthead Credit: Lutsenko_Oleksandr, Vantage_DS

Permalink to story.

Well, living in east part of EU and loosing 40% of my income year over year due to human malware, I suppose it will get even worse for those international companies. Expect This market to disappear and be replaced by piracy by 2021. Like literally there is no cash to buy last years' Chrismas presents this year.
If this market was worth anything to Them, They will have to raise prices globally more, accordingly to losses in developing countries.

To bad HBO Max etc is buying up so many shows. Netflix probably knew this would happen when they released there most watched shows list.

Just starting Queens Gambit, looks interesting.

In a few years, Netflix will cost as much as regular cable......which people wanted to ditch because N was cheaper!
We can never go back to cable. The concept of adjusting your life to tv schedule is unthinkable now. So is the drip feeding of episodes one at a time when you can binge it on a weekend or missing out a episode just because you got a call. Netflix is not great but the cable is simply out of equation.

We can never go back to cable. The concept of adjusting your life to tv schedule is unthinkable now. So is the drip feeding of episodes one at a time when you can binge it on a weekend or missing out a episode just because you got a call. Netflix is not great but the cable is simply out of equation.
I'm guessing your local cable company doesn't have "On Demand" or the equivalent. If it did, as mine does, you could binge watch and you wouldn't have to worry about missing an episode. Granted, my cable system isn't perfect but at least we have that.

Just another reason for the pirates to "gear up" their work. Can't say they don't deserve it but in a time where so many people are out of work, now is not the time for a price increase. One dollar more isn't significant, but the those that can't afford it now can't afford it even more (If that makes sense) ....

You are not wrong. Why would you go back? I mean we still have scheduled tv stations and then they have services where you can usually watch on demand albeit you still have adverts every so often, but you watch when you want to watch, when you have the time.
That being said Netflix is wasting a smeg ton of cash. Recently I read Santa Clarita Diet, had a lot of followers who wondered where their beloved show had gone, and for what reasons.
Numbers. This seemed to be the only claim, as at first it was more, uhhh, no idea, it was just decided.
And many great shows come and go on Netflix without being finished, or left on cliff hangers.
That to me is a lack of respect to customers, who have invested money and time into a show they wish to see through. Even if its gone bad, give it an end. Like LOST did, with its awful ending that nobody wanted.
We have too many shows, we don't need so many, but the logic of the cash cow, milk something, and flog it til its dead logic is ruining it. On the one hand you have some shows like the simpsons that go on long past their sell by date, or you have so many shows of the same type or just so many new in general, people jump in and out.
Binge watching IMO maybe doing some of the damage. So many new shows, you bail on a binger to test something else out for a while, and your binger gets axed cause you started on something else.
They seem to want to keep things fresh, but I find Netflix and Amazon to be mostly stale content. Both fail to have decent search options, both have menus that IMO aren't very user friendly. And I feel like netflix are definitely not worth the money out of the two so they can **** off with a price hike.

You are not wrong. Why would you go back? I mean we still have scheduled tv stations and then they have services where you can usually watch on demand albeit you still have adverts every so often, but you watch when you want to watch, when you have the time.
That being said Netflix is wasting a smeg ton of cash. Recently I read Santa Clarita Diet, had a lot of followers who wondered where their beloved show had gone, and for what reasons.
Numbers. This seemed to be the only claim, as at first it was more, uhhh, no idea, it was just decided.
And many great shows come and go on Netflix without being finished, or left on cliff hangers.
That to me is a lack of respect to customers, who have invested money and time into a show they wish to see through. Even if its gone bad, give it an end. Like LOST did, with its awful ending that nobody wanted.
We have too many shows, we don't need so many, but the logic of the cash cow, milk something, and flog it til its dead logic is ruining it. On the one hand you have some shows like the simpsons that go on long past their sell by date, or you have so many shows of the same type or just so many new in general, people jump in and out.
Binge watching IMO maybe doing some of the damage. So many new shows, you bail on a binger to test something else out for a while, and your binger gets axed cause you started on something else.
They seem to want to keep things fresh, but I find Netflix and Amazon to be mostly stale content. Both fail to have decent search options, both have menus that IMO aren't very user friendly. And I feel like netflix are definitely not worth the money out of the two so they can **** off with a price hike.

Regarding Santa Clarita Diet, the numbers were decent but maybe it was ousted as it showed a straight white couple with a daughter who is also straight and in love with a straight white male, which is probably a huge issue for 'diverse' Netflix. I wish it was a joke.
Netflix wants to guide the consumers not the other way around. They want us all see what they want and for this they don't allow us to rate show (just a up/down to tailor your preferences not show's rating). Remember Amy Schumer fiasco?
I always go to IMDB before starting to watch a new show as Netflix has decided that, let alone allowing us to rate but even showing us rating info of a show will be too much. So yeah, screw Netflix.

I am In Oz and I was tied to Foxtel satellite. But no more, I posted that box this morning after I got a little thing last month called a fireTV stick lite. Or to all intent and purpose, it is an Android TV box; and it opened a whole new world to me. I could get Netflix if I want, but I don't, there are other channels to watch, all local, all free. If you want more content try IPTV. You get all the channels in the world for a low $10US a month. It costs me that anyway :p

Back