Netflix will soon come bundled with your T-Mobile plan

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

T-Mobile is gearing up to roll out a new perk for its unlimited T-Mobile ONE plan next week.

The "un-carrier" has partnered with Netflix to offer the streaming service to its customers at no charge. CEO John Legere introduced the “Netflix on Us” program while lampooning the competition in his hilarious v-log (below).

The catch is that only T-Mobile ONE family plans with two or more voice lines are eligible. This is not a promotional offer that expires; it’s is being considered a permanent feature of the package.

Getting started with Netflix on Us is relatively straightforward. Eligible subscribers, both existing and new, can contact T-Mobile through its app, website or by phone to activate their account. They will receive a URL that will link their Netflix and T-Mobile accounts.

Once paired, T-Mobile will pay Netflix directly for your subscription. The company does caution that existing Netflix subscribers might not see the benefits kick in for one or two Netflix billing cycles.

It is also worth noting that T-Mobile will only pay for the $9.99 standard Netflix plan (two simultaneous HD streams). The good news is that if you are a premium subscriber (four streams at $11.99), the service still covers your subscription, but the $2 difference will be added to your phone bill. In a nutshell, you end up saving $120 per year, which is not a bad deal, especially if you are already a subscriber.

Like it or hate it, T-Mobile has been working hard to capture your business. The new program is being introduced as the mobile provider continues to improve its service and coverage. The carrier began deploying its 600 MHz LTE service last month and is slated to complete the rollout by the end of the year. It hopes to surpass Verizon and AT&T in area coverage with the lower frequency towers.

Netflix on Us will be available starting September 12.

Permalink to story.

I'm quite impressed at TMo overall. They've made one hell of a leap from where they were. It's particularly refreshing to see them trying and implementing new stuff similar to this - it's put a new spin on a once-stagnant market, and when the big guys (VZW & AT&T) begin compensating for it; it's even more entertaining.

I don't use their service as of now, but it's intriguing to observe.

I just moved and haven't had the internet turned on yet. I have T-Mobile and I've been tethering to my phone for internet. I'm actually considering not having the internet turned on because of the unlimited data I get through T-Mobile. I live in a rural area now and the service is great. They've come a long way from the shoddy service they had a few years ago. I only switched from ATT a year ago but I don't regret it AT ALL. ATT was charging me $130/m and now I only pay $70/m.

Everyone always asks me why I was paying $130/m through ATT. I was contracted into one of their older plans and they refused to change it until I paid off my phone. Well I paid off my phone and they still refused to change my existing plan to the new, cheap one. Told them to shove it and went to the T-Mobile store that day. I was on the phone with ATT to transfer my number and then, and only then, did they try to make me an offer. T-mobile was still cheaper than the offer they made me and their offer didn't even come with unlimited data.

You know my carrier here was doing something similar but got slammed buy net neutrality.

Videotron up to Aug2017 did not charge you data when using music streaming apps, you could use spotify,googleplay,itune, stingray ect. and that apparently violated net nuetrality. I dont see how this is different

You know my carrier here was doing something similar but got slammed buy net neutrality.

Videotron up to Aug2017 did not charge you data when using music streaming apps, you could use spotify,googleplay,itune, stingray ect. and that apparently violated net nuetrality. I dont see how this is different
Because they are not one of the big boys. People really love this kind of stuff, but it really is a big slap in the face to net neutrality.

Back