Netgear and Linksys

I am signed up to orange broadband who provide a netgear adsl router for the broadband.

I am now wanting to extend the broadband wireless network and I am thinking of using the Linksys WAP54G to extend the internet wirelessly.

Are these two compatible or can I change the router from netgear to a linksys one i.e. is orange broadband hardwired into the router or not?

study the solution offered - - it actually works :)

if you have better offers, by all means make the choice that works for you --

linksys and netgear

Right, lets see if I have made myself clear.

I have a netgear wireless broadband router which gives wireless broadband access not only in our flat but also in the communal lounge below and outside in the front and rear garden.

I want to extend the broadband access to all the other flats in the court. The one side using a wired range extender that gives off a wireless signal utilising a wap54g, the other side utilising a wap54g unwired.

Is the wap54g which is a cisco/linksys access point compatible with netgear routers?

linksys and netgear

Thank you for the reply.

So what you are saying is - it can be done but not with the netgear router provided by orange?

The other point is, that according to linksys the wap54g is now obsolete and has been replaced by the WAP610N.

Is this able to do the same job as the WAP54G? And would it communicate with the Netgear Router?

Actually, as long as a device has the Bridge Mode feature, you're in business :wave:

One beauty of networking is that using standard protocols, device make/model numbers become irrelevant (assuming of course no outstanding known issues; read bugs)

linksys and netgear

I have just spoken to orange and they have informed me that the broadband is not hardwired into the router - unlike sky - and I can change to any router I like.

Any recommendations?

Personally I am partial to Netgear and like the ability to coerse MAC -> IP address allocations
(which says DHCP does not control IP addresses for specifically configured devices).
Thus I can map known systems into a range (2-20) and
allow DHCP another range (100-120) which becomes food for the firewall rules of sharing (ie known vs guests).

Regardless of make/model, be sure to change the router's login password and disable remote configuration via port 8080 :)

Back